ID of strange tree!

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
Okay, i pass this tree occasionally and always thought it was some kind of pine, after stopping next to it today, it appears to have similar leaves to a holly. Now connifers are rare here, so i cant find anyone who can tell me what this thing is

Sorry bout the pic quality its off my phone.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Andy,

I would guess either Araucaria araucana (Monkey Puzzle Tree) or Cunninghamia Lanceolata (Chinese Fir). If I had to pick one, I would say Araucaria araucana.

Regards,
Martin

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, i have always wondered about that tree, i love the way the foliage only grows right at the end of the branches, giving it a hollow interior. It really is a fascinating tree.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I want one of those!

Not in Kansas, I'm afraid : the only specimens I've seen whose lower branches don't turn brown and die were in Britain, a much, er.. damper climate than here in France where after 10-12 years, they look really messy.

I've seen a couple of examples of a related species, the Norfolk pine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_heterophylla) that were really great, but even this one is difficult to maintain in a rather dry atmosphere.

Top Bottom