ID on bugs?

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all!

Looking for help to identify these bugs that appeared on my Vietnamese Bluebell over the weekend. I have my bluebell indoor just for the winter as I live in NY. I treated the plant right away by removing what I could and spraying a mixture of dish soap and water. Want help to identify for learning and if it’s a more serious problem. I squished one and red juice came out (blood?) According to my google search, could they be microscopic aphids?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• B1E7A924-2F5C-4D4A-8567-98A150905FB9.png
    B1E7A924-2F5C-4D4A-8567-98A150905FB9.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 45

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's aphids. Most insecticides that have aphids on the label will treat against them. Neem oil worked for me too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you can get rid of aphids pretty effectively on a small plant like this by simply by wetting a paper towel and wiping them off or squishing them by hand.

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
It's aphids. Most insecticides that have aphids on the label will treat against them. Neem oil worked for me too.
Are these white spots a sign of infection? My first bluebell so I’m not sure how the leaves are supposed to be. It’s not powdery and doesn’t wiper off. It’s like part of the leaf if that makes sense

Attachments

• 94C444E8-C9C0-47F0-80EE-EFD04411F16A.jpeg
    94C444E8-C9C0-47F0-80EE-EFD04411F16A.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 31

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
you can get rid of aphids pretty effectively on a small plant like this by simply by wetting a paper towel and wiping them off or squishing them by hand.
Thank you! Makes me feel better that it’s not serious

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are these white spots a sign of infection? My first bluebell so I’m not sure how the leaves are supposed to be. It’s not powdery and doesn’t wiper off. It’s like part of the leaf if that makes sense
Could be spider mites or lacewing damage. The injuries are from something eating the leaves. Indoor trees tend to get stuff like this.

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
Could be spider mites or lacewing damage. The injuries are from something eating the leaves. Indoor trees tend to get stuff like this.
Ok thank you! will read up on both.

gjones_42

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's damage from the bugs feeding on the sap of the tree. IMO, always good to closely check a plant before bringing it inside since the jump in temperature helps them proliferate.

Most likely this damage is from your aphids, otherwise you're hella unlucky and have another infestation too.

gjones_42

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FWIW I don't think lacewings eat the plants, they eat the bugs that eat the plants. I've bought them to control whitefly issues in greenhouse settings and they are great. Is your experience different?

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
That's damage from the bugs feeding on the sap of the tree. IMO, always good to closely check a plant before bringing it inside since the jump in temperature helps them proliferate.

Most likely this damage is from your aphids, otherwise you're hella unlucky and have another infestation too.
Thanks for the input! Yea I talked to the seller and said it could’ve happened during transit in the box and then bringing them inside like you said could’ve hatched some of the eggs? I’m not sure but I sprayed some Neem oil and haven’t seen bugs since. There’s plenty of foliage without white spots so I’ll prob prune the damaged ones off.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

gjones_42

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the input! Yea I talked to the seller and said it could’ve happened during transit in the box and then bringing them inside like you said could’ve hatched some of the eggs? I’m not sure but I sprayed some Neem oil and haven’t seen bugs since. There’s plenty of foliage without white spots so I’ll prob prune the damaged ones off.
Well, they'll never admit to selling you an infested plant, so sure we can go with that explanation :D :D

Neem is great, it gets absorbed in the plant and spreads for good effect. It's main effect is an "antifeedant" so it stops the aphids from feasting and they starve. Direct application can also suffocate them. Just keep an eye out to see if more show up.

Leaf-wise, in my experience (with plants in general, NOT bonsai) you can leave those. They're unsightly, but if the leaves are green they're otherwise healthy and contribute to a good foliar mass. You could cause more damage by removing the ugly leaves and your plant won't have enough to grow. Food for thought...

Top Bottom