ID These Trees, Please? 4 Maples:

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are 4 big, beautiful maple trees on my new property. Hoping for help identifying them, please? All pics were taken this month, and all of these trees are at least 40 years old
(Hoping to start some air layers in the spring.)

Maple #1 -- Leaves are all deep red in the spring, and as Summer progresses, they slowly acquire more green. The bark is very smooth, and the tree is about 15' tall, 10' wide..

backyard maple.jpg

Maple #2 -- Seems like a regular ol' Acer Palmatum. Stays Purpletastic all season long. This tree is smallish, about 12' tall and maybe 10' wide

driveway maple.jpg

Maple #3- I freakin love this tree. These leaves are wonderfully green and quite small. Approx 1.5" to 2" width, and very densely growing in the tree, which is approx. 20' tall.

front yard maple.jpg

Maple #4 -- I have 2 of these trees, both of which are multi-trunked and about 18' tall.

side yard maple.jpg

Attachments

• backyard maple.jpg
    backyard maple.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 4
  • driveway maple.jpg
    driveway maple.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 3
  • driveway maple.jpg
    driveway maple.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 9

Palmer67

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea. However, I'm really jealous and happy for you at the same time. It appears this property fell into the right hands. Gorgeous foliage, would love to see bigger pictures of the trees and property!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
#1 is some cultivar of Japanese Maple
#2 is J. Maple “Atropurpureum” (not considered good for bonsai because of leaf size and long internodes)
#3 is another J. Maple cultivar
#4 looks like native Vine Maple (Acer Circinatum) There are people who use it for bonsai but not common. I think it’s probably best for larger bonsai. That being said, using natives is awesome!

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea. However, I'm really jealous and happy for you at the same time. It appears this property fell into the right hands. Gorgeous foliage, would love to see bigger pictures of the trees and property!

Yeah, this property is the reason I became interested in bonsai. More shots:

J. Maple on the left. Ponderosas in the middle. On the right, is it Hemlock ?????

1.jpg

Close up of what I think might be hemlock
2.jpg

Here's the red maple again on the left. A big yew under the stairs. Decent sized (Mugo??) to the right of the tent. There's another yew down there, as well as some rhododendrons, an azalea, and three honeysuckle-looking plants. On the right, behind the deck, are the green maples with the full-moon lookin leaves

3.jpg

Blurry-assed glamour shot. That's my little mountain up there. I call it Gorilla Mountain. I still think these trees are hemlock.
4.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#4 looks like native Vine Maple (Acer Circinatum) There are people who use it for bonsai but not common. I think it’s probably best for larger bonsai. That being said, using natives is awesome!
Good call as it is in WA state. We don't have them around here.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good call as it is in WA state. We don't have them around here.
I had never heard of Acer Japonicum before. Looking at pictures, it looks a lot like Vine Maple. Wikipedia says they’re very closely related and difficult to differentiate. Being that the OP is in the Pacific Northwest, I’d say it is Vine Maple.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had never heard of Acer Japonicum before. Looking at pictures, it looks a lot like Vine Maple. Wikipedia says they’re very closely related and difficult to differentiate. Being that the OP is in the Pacific Northwest, I’d say it is Vine Maple.

AcerJaponicum Otaki in my front yard. Not sure why I labeled them in March though.
No filters or colour deception. A bit more shade yields more purple IIRC.
Tree's a bit bigger now, not bonsai material.
So there's acer Japonicum and acer Shirasawanum both, Full Moon maples.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Atom#28
The most common red leaf "tree form" Japanese maples (distinct from the dissectums = "weeping" or "dwarf" Japanese maples) are: 'Bloodgood', 'Emperor 1', and 'Fireglow.' There is another lesser seen variety called 'Trompenburg.'

These common red leaf varieties can be very hard to tell apart; some hold their red color longer than other varieties, and the biggest difference would be their mature size. Bloodgood is the biggest grower, ranging in height from 20-30 feet tall, Emperor 1 and Fireglow get more like 12-20 feet tall. Regardless of variety, their care will be the same.

The exact variety means little, but if you're wondering about which kind, the types I named can give you something to start researching.

And I agree with @penumbra, the last maple looks like a type of japonicum, not palmatum.

Your Maple#3 is probably going to be a mystery without a tag. Unless there is a distinguishing characteristic, like new growth color, fall color, mature height, growth habit, etc.

Your conifer looks like a hemlock.

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not too familiar with vine maple, but after looking at pictures, yours does look pretty similar.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're in Japanese maple growing country, a lot of the nursery trade j.m. come from out there. There's really no telling what varieties you see out there that never make it as far as the east coast, or at least commonly seen.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am stumped on this one it has been light green in spring, regular green all summer and now its starting to change reddish purple
20191020_173407.jpg20191020_174013.jpg

Top Bottom