ID wanted

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi all,

For the most part I'm familiar with the flora of NC. This tree however is one I am not sure of. At first glance, I believed it to be a hawthorn, the leaves match but the bark and lack of thorns aren't like the cratageous we have here. My next guess was a variety of viburnum, but again, the bark is not typical of any I have seen. It is possible that this is not a native plant, its growing in dense woods that used to have some sort of structure there maybe 15 years ago. The leaves are serrate and opposite. The bark is beautiful for the trees size, maybe about 1" thick. Sorry for the lame pic, my galaxy didn't want to focus- theyre weird about camera lighting.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20200706_121715.jpg
    20200706_121715.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200706_121729.jpg
    20200706_121729.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 81

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cornus florida with extremely blocky persimmon-like bark??

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like me a good i.d. mystery...:p

This one is stumping me...

Are you sure that bark goes with the foliage? The bark reminds me of some of the sweetgum around here, and I think I see some leaves behind the trunk.

I have a couple ideas about the foliage, but they're probably stupid...

Any other clearer pics of the tree, maybe some with buds?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the replies

The bark looks like American Persimmon.
Indeed it does, but the leaves are serrated and I believe a persimmon is smooth with much larger leaves.

Cornus florida with extremely blocky persimmon-like bark??
Good thought, the bark matches, but I believe C. florida also has smooth leaf margins

I like me a good i.d. mystery...:p

This one is stumping me...

Are you sure that bark goes with the foliage? The bark reminds me of some of the sweetgum around here, and I think I see some leaves behind the trunk.

I have a couple ideas about the foliage, but they're probably stupid...

Any other clearer pics of the tree, maybe some with buds?
I am positive it goes with the foliage, I can get more pics again in a little while

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Attachments

• 20200706_171428.jpg
    20200706_171428.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200706_171436.jpg
    20200706_171436.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 29

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think this mystery won't be solved without viewing a flower. That would have to be in spring because I see nothing arising now, so no late summer or autumn flowering. That bark is the kind you wouldn't forget. I would try to root a cutting right now...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@JoeR
Check out viburnum rufidulum, rusty blackhaw viburnum.

Leaves kinda look similar, opposite arrangement, and some of the pictures from google of the bark look similar.

In your two newest pics, the second one shows what looks like 2 fuzzy/spikey buds, but it's hard to tell if they're chewed up leaves or buds. Blackhaw viburnum also has similar looking spikey buds.

Pictures of the buds can go a long way in helping to i.d.

I'm almost positive it's viburnum rufidulum

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think this mystery won't be solved without viewing a flower. That would have to be in spring because I see nothing arising now, so no late summer or autumn flowering. That bark is the kind you wouldn't forget. I would try to root a cutting right now...
I was thinking cuttings now and an airlayer or collection in spring, didnt get the chance to look at the base but the bark is killer.

@JoeR
Check out viburnum rufidulum, rusty blackhaw viburnum.

Leaves kinda look similar, opposite arrangement, and some of the pictures from google of the bark look similar.

In your two newest pics, the second one shows what looks like 2 fuzzy/spikey buds, but it's hard to tell if they're chewed up leaves or buds. Blackhaw viburnum also has similar looking spikey buds.

Pictures of the buds can go a long way in helping to i.d.

I'm almost positive it's viburnum rufidulum
This certainly looks like the tree in question, thanks. The buds are slightly fuzzy, with orange/reddish brown hair. Id take a picture but its too small for the Samsung to focus on. Bark also matches from some pictures.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting, berries are said to be edible and raisin like. Sounds like it may be a good species for bonsai, as long as its nothing like sparkleberry.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"....Bark: Grayish brown, developing a fine blocky pattern." This conflicts with the picture.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"....Bark: Grayish brown, developing a fine blocky pattern." This conflicts with the picture.
All the other characteristics match, but hard to say what a fine blocky pattern means. Rusty slightly pubescent underleaves, glossy top, serrated margin, opposite, growing in shady understory forest, and overall looks similar. Bark is not really used for taxonomic identification, usually. But damn the bark is nice.

Took some cuttings this afternoon. According to M. Dirr's book semi hardwood cuttings root well at this time but don't grow until the next season.

Not really any good airlayering placements unfortunately

Attachments

• 20200707_173439.jpg
    20200707_173439.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200707_173434.jpg
    20200707_173434.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200707_174957.jpg
    20200707_174957.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200707_173434.jpg
    20200707_173434.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 16

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like blackhaw viburnum! I've id'ed one on my property and found some saplings nearby I would like to dig next year for future bonsai projects...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
That bark is awesome! Looks kinda like old Elderberry trees over here. Same family too, but hopefully better for bonsai.

Top Bottom