Ideal temperature and humidity

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I decided to upgrade my winter setup for my tropicals from being in windows to a grow tent and light. This will hopefully allow for really good control over both temperature and humidity for the next few months. So assuming you could keep temp/humidity at any level you want for your tropicals, where would you keep it? Right now I am working with mostly ficus, bougainvillea, and p afras with a few other random species mixed in.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you will find that there is a difference between these species.

But.. 25+c (77+F) as daytime temperature and for tropicals from moist regions, 80% humidity based on impressions from spending time in several tropical regions in the world. Probably would not make it much warmer than 30C (86F)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ficus, bougainvillea, and p afras
These three plants don't require a lot of humidity, though Ficus can vary significantly according to variety / species.
Be sure you put a fan in your tent. I run a fan in my tent 24/7. I also have a vent fan if humidity gets too high. I do not seal the door completely either. It is always unzipped at least at the bottom and usually up the side a bit.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think it depends on the species. For me I'd like to keep the trees at the average low temperature from where they came. Tropicals need a winter rest period too. They don't like persistent spring/summer temperature all that much either. They depend partly on the temperature for their growth behavior. I don't want to confuse them too much.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
From a biological perspective 27°C shows the most activity in all plants.
From an economic perspective, 24°C - 25°C is just fine.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is no place on Earth to the best of my knowledge that doesn't have a rest period/non-growing season. It's winter at the extremes of the wobble, and winds that shift in more equatorial regions bring dry instead of cold. The endless summer doesn't exist.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many region's seasons are determined by rainfall instead of temperature. This is true of the equatorial regions.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Many region's seasons are determined by rainfall instead of temperature. This is true of the equatorial regions.
True. I spent quite a bit of time near the equator. Still there is that rest period in the dry season.

Top Bottom