Idea's for a crazy looking Bonsai please?

John5222

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone care to give some suggestions on this tree i found in the woods. As you can see, the left side of the tree is quite badly scared, cut marks. I'm still wondering on what should be done so that the balance is restored. Only thing that came up, cascade style? Suggestions are really encouraged, please? :D Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 707

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe that I would start by planting it deeper, maybe much deeper. I would think about carving the left old trunk area out, and maybe joining that left root. Hard to tell if there are other options from other sides, maybe more photos?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that an elm? If so, it would seem you could separate those large roots and start new trees, maybe do a forest with them.

ed

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It looks like it's got great potential, but the trunk and branches are way out of proportion to the base. I would devote a couple of years to growing on the top; at the same time I would cut back those heavy roots, 1 or 2 at a time, to encourage the tree to break new feeder roots near the base.

Keep us posted on this one. I think it will take some creativity, but you may have a show-winner down the road.

PS John, it's up to you; but if you give us your general location, we'll be able to give more informed advice.

Last edited:

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
i"d consider aquiring a few whips and positioning them around the base to encourage some volumn of foliage. It's a long term project but confident with subject that you can pull it off.
:)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm of the camp that says get rid of those massive and quite unattractive roots by carving and by planting it MUCH deeper in a pot. Then, let the top grow.

There is NO instant bonsai here. You have years of work ahead, and I wonder if the result would be worth it -- except, perhaps, for the experience.

Of course, pictures from several different angles (at eye level) might change my opinion about the long-term results.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another option is to remove the 2 major roots at the left (maybe it could become 2 new separate trees after)...leaving the one on the right which I assume is the one connected to the top foliage right now. It should yield a better bonsai and faster too. ;)

Here is what I'd probably start with....
View attachment 37180

Last edited:

John5222

Seedling
Reaction score
Further questions

Thank you very much for the feedback.

However I would like to ask the reason why I should plant it much deeper than it is now?

For the past one month, I've been carefully observing it. Though I don't know the plant's species, it is very hardy. Despite constant rain, hot sun and A LOT of insects, it is crazily resistant.

I don't think I'll go with any branch cuttings for now. I've also been leaving a branch, perhaps for a sacrificial branch, untouched. I think I might do a semi-cascade. Yet something feels weird. The large cut marks (bumps) on top of is eventually going to heal, but it is quite a large bump. Should i leave it as it is for now or do something about?

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 421

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Thank you very much for the feedback.

However I would like to ask the reason why I should plant it much deeper than it is now?

For the past one month, I've been carefully observing it. Though I don't know the plant's species, it is very hardy. Despite constant rain, hot sun and A LOT of insects, it is crazily resistant.

Starting a bonsai from just a stump works fine. Right now your roots look dominant. That too will pass. Keeping them slightly covered will let them plump up as the rest of the tree catches up to the feet.

In the next year or two I might take a concave cutter to that stump.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For me, it looks like one tree next to a dead stump right now. I don't have any problem with deadwood on trees, it can be spectacular. But the fact that this is a deciduous tree with "arial" type roots ruins the image for me. But that's just my opinion, it is your tree, but that is why I suggested to plant deeper. It has nice flair, and that will still be visible, even if you plant it lower.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but those roots are not things of beauty. Planting them a lot deeper would allow you to still have some swelling at the base, but the roots would be in more proportion to the possibilities for the top and you would lose the stiff fatness of thos pillars/roots.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I cant say i disagree with the comments about the roots needing to be buried, however keep in mind that unless you want it in a 12" deep pot you will need to stimulate new root growth up higher and eventually lop off those stilts to get it in a realistic pot

John5222

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much for the suggestion. I will look into planting it deeper. Meanwhile, I still encourage any suggestions on foliage/top design.

By the way, it is an evergreen type of tree. I live in a hot/tropical climate, 90% of my trees are evergreen

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
its very hard to see whats going on in there perhaps defoliate sometime and snap a few shots

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes planting deeper is the way to go. I suggest about a foot or more should pretty much get rid of all your problems.

Reaction score
IMG_4941.jpg
I would just literately cut everything to the
left of the red line off.

The roots to the left were obviously just supporting
the trunks that have already been removed.
If you want to take the safe route... just constantly
remove anything that buds or grows on this side of
the line, and it will just die off naturally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom