Ideas for cut or not

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this Trident Maple last September at Brussels. My plan was to let it have full top as it looked like that was where it was headed anyway. In January I cut back some long twigs and took these pictures. When I looked at them I thought it may have some other options, any ideas welcome. It must be re-potted this year in larger pot either bonsai or nursery, it is full of roots. It is slow to bud, no leaves are open now just getting buds. So I don't think it is too late to cut? (my other TDM is full of leaves 2 weeks ago)
Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• Trident Ideas.jpg
    Trident Ideas.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Trident cut.jpg
    Trident cut.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 77
  • Trident cut2.jpg
    Trident cut2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 63

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this Trident Maple last September at Brussels. My plan was to let it have full top as it looked like that was where it was headed anyway. In January I cut back some long twigs and took these pictures. When I looked at them I thought it may have some other options, any ideas welcome. It must be re-potted this year in larger pot either bonsai or nursery, it is full of roots. It is slow to bud, no leaves are open now just getting buds. So I don't think it is too late to cut? (my other TDM is full of leaves 2 weeks ago)
Thanks,
Michael

The top needs to be cut waaaaay back, especially that ramrod straight leader. It won't hurt to do it now, tridents are vigorous growers.

Best of luck with your trident project!

Zach

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would consider air layering some of those larger branches off this season -- you can do more than one at once as long as there's foliage above the layering site.

I included a picture of where I would make the cuts. This would give the top some decent taper and follow the flow of the trunk. This is only one of many options, though. You could always sprout some new branches further down on the trunk and use one of them as the new leader.

Good luck :D

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 50

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
My suggestion is as drastic as axxon's (but tridents can take drastic.) I would cut at the yellow-orange line, and develop the tree with the leftmost leader.

That would suit my taste. What matters of course, Michael, is yours.

Attachments

• MichaelsTrident.jpg
    MichaelsTrident.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 77

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the ideas everyone.
It has been dark when I get home each day and I had move my trees from under the carport to shade area under the Pines. When the rain let up to a mist for a few minutes today I went out and looked that the tree. I had many more buds and some just starting to open. They are not full open but will be in the next day, I guess if I am going to cut it I should do so before the leaves open full?
Thanks,
Michael

Top Bottom