Ideas for indoor tree's

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everybody and thanks in advance for anybody who chips in.

I've recently taken the first steps getting into the hobby, brought some seeds to test different germination methods out and brought a tree. The tree has lost all leaves and is not identifiable at the moment so am moving to my friends garden where anything that is grown or added to the collection will go as I have no garden space.

As much as I can appreciate most trees will need to be outdoors for most if not all year I really still want one in my home. I know a few tropics can be grown indoors and I was wondering if anybody would recommend a certain type for indoors in the UK. Pictures of trees you may have indoors would be great if anybody can.

Any info you feel is relevant to me not on the stuff I mentioned please share.

Thanks again for evwrybodies help so far.
Well I did buy a tree from this nursery. Was looking for a low priced indoor tree. I am not familiar with this species of ficus. (Just learning my own ficus) But trust this seller. He refused to sell me a tree that he felt I could not get through winter until I had a better winter set up. (Needed to be dormant, but protected from my northern cold winters.)
Needs thinned out...but the price doesn't break the bank.
http://www.bonsaitrees.com/detail.php?id=2012&catid=1

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A Fukien tree as amcoffeegirl mentioned...I don't know the species myself. But, a once mallsai S shape...they turned it into a somewhat cascade here. I don't know what your expecting to pay...but I do trust this seller. And your seeing the tree that would be shipped. Which I do like when you look at the finished tree section.
http://www.bonsaitrees.com/detail.php?id=2024&catid=1

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well I did buy a tree from this nursery. Was looking for a low priced indoor tree. I am not familiar with this species of ficus. (Just learning my own ficus) But trust this seller. He refused to sell me a tree that he felt I could not get through winter until I had a better winter set up. (Needed to be dormant, but protected from my northern cold winters.)
Needs thinned out...but the price doesn't break the bank.
http://www.bonsaitrees.com/detail.php?id=2012&catid=1
That's funny I have looked at that f. Pumila many times. I have killed many along my journey trying other species to play with. I did manage to keep one alive about 3 months now. I just wired and trimmed it back recently.
I think if I can manage to keep one alive I may purchase one eventually. They are vines and they are very thin when young.
Might need a Florida friend to ship me one from the yard :)IMG_8935.JPG
In a Boggs pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's funny I have looked at that f. Pumila many times. I have killed many along my journey trying other species to play with. I did manage to keep one alive about 3 months now. I just wired and trimmed it back recently.
I think if I can manage to keep one alive I may purchase one eventually. They are vines and they are very thin when young.
Might need a Florida friend to ship me one from the yard :)
Small world! You do well with your ficus...and had issues with this cultivar. Did you ever pinpoint the issue with it being more difficult for you?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Small world! You do well with your ficus...and had issues with this cultivar. Did you ever pinpoint the issue with it being more difficult for you?
I think I kept it too wet- not enough light.
It loves the light and grows new leaves every couple of days. I have this one in free draining soil. I would have to let it grow 5 ft tall to bulk it up though. Like I said super thin trunks. They usually grow horizontal and not upward- unless coached. Very ivy like growth but treat it like a ficus :)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This op is in the U.K. though so I don't think they will purchase from Iowa :)

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A note on Ficus;
I keep them indoors for about 9 months of the year, and this is my experience so far;
Without grow lights, their growth simply slows down before coming to a complete stop.
They seem to enter their own form of "dormancy" if you will. But they don't wither and they don't die.

Mind you, we only have 6 hours of daylight during the darkest winter, and the little winter sun we do have gives no warmth at all.
Your climate should be a bit better than mine for tropicals.

If you want them to continue to grow indoors in the UK, you will need grow lights.
Most gardeners I've asked, recommend 16-18 hours a day with grow lights on, then 6-8 hours rest time in darkness at night.
You may possibly also need a heating/seedling mat underneath the pots in the coldest months, depending on your local climate.

All tropicals should be outside in summer for as long as possible though.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A note on Ficus;
I keep them indoors for about 9 months of the year, and this is my experience so far;
Without grow lights, their growth simply slows down before coming to a complete stop.
They seem to enter their own form of "dormancy" if you will. But they don't wither and they don't die.

Mind you, we only have 6 hours of daylight during the darkest winter, and the little winter sun we do have gives no warmth at all.
Your climate should be a bit better than mine for tropicals.

If you want them to continue to grow indoors in the UK, you will need grow lights.
Most gardeners I've asked, recommend 16-18 hours a day with grow lights on, then 6-8 hours rest time in darkness at night.
You may possibly also need a heating/seedling mat underneath the pots in the coldest months, depending on your local climate.

All tropicals should be outside in summer for as long as possible though.
all good info.
My experience is similar.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
my kids planted some grapefruit seeds a few years back. They make great indoor trees (beautiful bark), I've got them in a west facing window through the winter and they do fine. I kept one indoors all year to see what would happen. Unsurprisingly, the outdoor grew much faster (even with all the rain). My ficus doesn't grow fast, but it also does well. I have a couple of serrisa as well, but not sure they will ever become bonsai.

My indoor trees bring me much joy during the winter, which i think the OP was really getting at.

I also killed a fukuen tea, but my neighbor has one thats been in good health for awhile.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Also I would suggest Ming aralia, Polyscias fruticosa. It tolerates low light well, and is often used in India as an office plant. You might get good results with artificial lighting. It has largish leaves, but they are finely divided and can give the impression of many small leaves. Image below not mine.Ming-Aralia.jpg

Jordan Dies

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your insights.

I've found a retired man locally who has been growing bonsai for many years and is selling some of his trees and invited me down to have a look and teach me what he can in the short time.

I got home today however and the missus (diamond she is) has got me a ficus.

From the looks of It to me it's doing well. Would anybody recommend doing anything with it now I.e. reporting, trimming or wiring or is it best I leave it to adjust to the environment. Not sure if it matter and didn't take a photo but roots are all the way to the bottom of the pot.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20180824_170952.jpg
    20180824_170952.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180824_171022.jpg
    20180824_171022.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180824_171030.jpg
    20180824_171030.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180824_171039.jpg
    20180824_171039.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 18

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like that might be a Ficus benjamina? Yes, I would let it get acclimated to your environment before you do anything. Don't be surprised if it drops lots of leaves while it gets adjusted. Give it as much light as you can. Once it's growing well you can consider a repot into proper bonsai soil with root pruning. In the meantime be careful not to over water.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jordan that is great you a local teacher. While you are getting used to watering the ficus. Think about how you want to use thise trunks. Maybe ask your neighbor for advice.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can look at this old thread...
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/indoor-bonsai.23391/
My information shared there comes from many sources - books, species guides, forums... And been doing it that way for years. The oldest is Chinese elm - 9 years indoors with cold wintering. It's this tree https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/11th-floor-separatists.34916/post-584561
This year I air-layered it successfully indoors...
If I could I'd grow them all outside but I can't place a pine indoors to put some (sub) tropical tree at it's place...
More or less I still keep quite enough trees indoors. Nothing special, but I can share some actual pics if you are interested in.

I stopped growing under lights almost 2 years ago because my family hated the lights when on. Trees are growing fine put on window sills (east & west) .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a dozen ficus and citrus bonsai. They do just as well during the winter next to an east facing window as the summer on a sunny balcony. Most tropical are adaptable to a wide range of light levels.
None of my trees will ever be “show quality”, but few people are in the hobby for that. One “stick in a pot” can be enjoyed as much as a yard full of world class bonsai.
Wow. Really? Have you ever walked through a yard full of world class bonsai? Not the same enjoyment AT ALL.
Here's some tours:
http://omiyabonsai.jp/gardens

Jordan Dies

Sapling
Reaction score
You can look at this old thread...
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/indoor-bonsai.23391/
My information shared there comes from many sources - books, species guides, forums... And been doing it that way for years. The oldest is Chinese elm - 9 years indoors with cold wintering. It's this tree https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/11th-floor-separatists.34916/post-584561
This year I air-layered it successfully indoors...
If I could I'd grow them all outside but I can't place a pine indoors to put some (sub) tropical tree at it's place...
More or less I still keep quite enough trees indoors. Nothing special, but I can share some actual pics if you are interested in.

I stopped growing under lights almost 2 years ago because my family hated the lights when on. Trees are growing fine put on window sills (east & west) .

I've gone through all of that and thank you very much, I found that so useful, care sheets will definitely come in handy once more plants arrive.

Top Bottom