Ideas for indoor tree's

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
;
Without grow lights, their growth simply slows down before coming to a complete stop.
They seem to enter their own form of "dormancy"
I should try this if I don’t want mine to run away. If I defoliate on Sunday it already bounced back by Wednesday. But don’t take my word for it, it’s ficus m. (a weed) and I’m in a subtropical area

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks everybody for your insights.

I've found a retired man locally who has been growing bonsai for many years and is selling some of his trees and invited me down to have a look and teach me what he can in the short time.

I got home today however and the missus (diamond she is) has got me a ficus.

From the looks of It to me it's doing well. Would anybody recommend doing anything with it now I.e. reporting, trimming or wiring or is it best I leave it to adjust to the environment. Not sure if it matter and didn't take a photo but roots are all the way to the bottom of the pot.

Thanks again.

You could tie them closely together when you repot so the trunks will fuse together. Otherwise it will take a long time before the individual trunks get to a decent thickness.

Jordan Dies

Sapling
Reaction score
You could tie them closely together when you repot so the trunks will fuse together. Otherwise it will take a long time before the individual trunks get to a decent thickness.
I was going to ask if that would work thanks. Would just normal wire be used to do that?

It's been a few days and no leaves have fallen off and it's looking healthy so might repot soon.

Would it be best just in a bonsai pot or anything inparticular?

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was going to ask if that would work thanks. Would just normal wire be used to do that?

It's been a few days and no leaves have fallen off and it's looking healthy so might repot soon.

Would it be best just in a bonsai pot or anything inparticular?

I'm using wire myself to get a ficus to fuse together, but people recommend rafia. Both works, but the wire will cut into the trunk. Personally I think the fusion will just go faster like this because of the swelling thats created.

It's not so important with tropicals when you repot but you should do it in spring because the warm temperatures and the light will benefit the tree.

There won't be much growth if you have it in a bonsai pot since it is so small. So consider something bigger.
Growth in the soil equals growth above the soil. Especially if you try to fuse trunks together it will benefit greatly if it has more room to grow.

I'm just a beginner as well so I hope someone can confirm, don't want to tell you something wrong.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm using wire myself to get a ficus to fuse together, but people recommend rafia. Both works, but the wire will cut into the trunk. Personally I think the fusion will just go faster like this because of the swelling thats created.

It's not so important with tropicals when you repot but you should do it in spring because the warm temperatures and the light will benefit the tree.

There won't be much growth if you have it in a bonsai pot since it is so small. So consider something bigger.
Growth in the soil equals growth above the soil. Especially if you try to fuse trunks together it will benefit greatly if it has more room to grow.

I'm just a beginner as well so I hope someone can confirm, don't want to tell you something wrong.

I've used zip ties to accomplish this with success, and less obvious damage to the trunks.

Jordan Dies

Sapling
Reaction score

So I'm best leaving re potting and fusing until spring?

Reaction score
L.E.D.

Welcome to Crazy!

Y'all gotta set up lights outside to grow anything Anyway....

Sorce
This is intriguing. I have seen a number of florescent light set ups for ficus, juniper, and hawiian umbrella trees does anyone growing in a colder climate (Massachusetts is my home) have an led light set up for bonsai?

I just got into the hobby myself

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is intriguing. I have seen a number of florescent light set ups for ficus, juniper, and hawiian umbrella trees does anyone growing in a colder climate (Massachusetts is my home) have an led light set up for bonsai?

Most people are rocking LEDs .

S

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score

Had a light setup for plants and fish tank , everyone hated the lights...so consider the Fam before forming over the $$&&&

Reaction score
Stormwater and sorce thanks for the info. Most the material and few trees I have are native to the area so just a little winter prep and they can stay outside or in the basement but I got a bonsai kit as a present that had a delonix regia (royal poinciana) in it and of course I was a bit gun-ho before actually doing some research and homework and popped the seed. I have no conservatory or good south facing window and would like to keep it alive and have some other indoor trees as well so pretty set on getting an LED setup just a matter of making the right decision on wattage.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Brandon,
I am in Massachusetts too. I have only one winter under my belt in bonsai but I have two tropical Jaboticaba that did great last in my basement l. My setup was a tent made of mylar emergency blankets vented on top, a seedling heat pad, and a LED grow light (Solar Flare 110). The light ran for 16 hours. Heat pad ran 24/7. Temp in the rent was F with 60% humidity.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Take a look at hibiscus. I have one as officeplant for about 8 years now. Never been outside yets has a 1inch trunk and very dense ramification (Because every time I leave for a week or over, I trim the poor thing back to stubs). Flowers twice a year. Does well. The leaves are too big for it to become a bonsai, but it is near enough at the moment.

I just started 2 hibiscus young plants and I love them. I can't believe yours has been indoors all the time. How much sun does it get? Is the room air conditioned?

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Take a look at hibiscus. I have one as officeplant for about 8 years now. Never been outside yets has a 1inch trunk and very dense ramification (Because every time I leave for a week or over, I trim the poor thing back to stubs). Flowers twice a year. Does well. The leaves are too big for it to become a bonsai, but it is near enough at the moment.
Just started 2 hibiscus young plants and I love them. I can't believe yours has been indoors all the time. How much sun does it get?

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
about 30 minutes a day in summer. In winter none.

That's amazing, never knew they thrived on 30 minutes of sun. That makes me feel better because my balcony will soon be in total shade and I fear for them!

Top Bottom