Ideas for this Trident Nebari?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good separation times depends a lot on climate - I'd ask some local folks or members of a local club if they have preferred timings for separation. Isn't September typically a very hot and windy month in the bay area? If so, probably wait until after that period. Around here we have to be mindful of Fall frosts beginning in late Oct, but probably much less of an issue for you.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I separated successfully an Elm ground layer and two Beech layers this year. Our summers are vastly different though, our summer was over like a month ago lol

I generally check weather conditions before most bonsai tasks, only takes a few seconds on our smartphones.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I separated successfully an Elm ground layer and two Beech layers this year. Our summers are vastly different though, our summer was over like a month ago lol

I generally check weather conditions before most bonsai tasks, only takes a few seconds on our smartphones.
It never really gets warmer than 70 degrees where I live. 10 day Forcast is in the mid to high 60's. In all of august the high is 80 degrees just a couple of days, average around 70-75.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With your climate, I would separate whenever you feel there are sufficient roots.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
In terms of timing for separation, am I waiting until leaves start to change color? Also because this sacrifice branch is probably more than half of the total foliage on the tree is it okay to chop off with leaf change? Or is it going to drive the tree into sprouting more shoots.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 52

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In terms of timing for separation, am I waiting until leaves start to change color? Also because this sacrifice branch is probably more than half of the total foliage on the tree is it okay to chop off with leaf change? Or is it going to drive the tree into sprouting more shoots.
See post above

Also, reading through, I place the tourniquet at the top to help start lateral root growth.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Separated this yesterday as the buds were starting to swell. My tridents are all waking up much earlier than last year. “Note to self” get a bigger saw next time, the 3 1/2 inch saw I had took forever to separate this. What an arm work out.

Forgot to take more pictures. Huge callous that I cut away chunks from, one massive root and then 3 roots on the opposite side. Trimmed the big one back, left all the others. Cut the huge leader off and made some cuttings.

Placed it deep in the pot to try and stimulate some more root growth. Can’t see the first section of the trunk.

Plan to let this sort itself out this year and see what kinda roots we get going on next year.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 31

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Personally, I dont always use a saw. Sometimes I just use a sturdy set of loppers, works for me:)

Top Bottom