Ideas of an accent plant for this pot...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Plans are to put it near a bougainvillea. So will that determine what goes in it or not?

imagejpg2_zpsac4481c9.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Accent plants are usually seasonal. So, have several, and rotate them in and out.

The trick with accents is to have it look "full". They're supposed to to be fun.
Boon has many little pots of accents randomly distributed amongst his benches. When he needs to make an accent for a show, he'll go out and refurbish one, or tear several apart and create a new one.

So, whenever you see a little plant that you think might look good as an accent, or as a part of one, add it to your collection.

Here's one I made for the BIB show.

image.jpg
image.jpg

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Adair did a nice job of co-ordinationg his companion plant with it's stand. While the pot itself was simplictic, the movement in the plant itself accented well together with the stand. It con-trasted nicely with the stately, tho less busy, movement of the pine.

With your pot, looking may basket type, I see lots of delicate flowers on a weeping growth
type companion plant within. The long runners of which cascade or creep down the pot and can be directed with the hand to lay on the floor of the display creating directionality for the eye towards the bonsai.

Because of your pot's shape, I see it setting atop a thin circular jitta, darkly stained brown for contrast.

Much also depends on the main bonsai pot's shape, of which I have no information. Hopefully
It's shape is more towards rectangular then round. Look at how nicely adair's two display items show this effort to co-ordinate differences. The bonsai sits nicely positioned on a stand of proper length.

:)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene, Darlene, Darlene...

You must not have had your coffee this morning!

Don't put them all in a grow bed or all in one pot. No. This is your excuse for having zillions of those little cute pots!

(Whew! I thought I lost her there for a moment! The things I have to do!)

Bonsai is no hobby for "practicality"! Excess! Everything to excess!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Don't put them all in a grow bed or all in one pot. No. This is your excuse for having zillions of those little cute pots!

For wintering purposes...I should have been more clear. Sorry. lol though I loved your post...I could almost hear your voice of aspiration.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Adair did a nice job of co-ordinationg his companion plant with it's stand. While the pot itself was simplictic, the movement in the plant itself accented well together with the stand. It con-trasted nicely with the stately, tho less busy, movement of the pine.

With your pot, looking may basket type, I see lots of delicate flowers on a weeping growth
type companion plant within. The long runners of which cascade or creep down the pot and can be directed with the hand to lay on the floor of the display creating directionality for the eye towards the bonsai.

Because of your pot's shape, I see it setting atop a thin circular jitta, darkly stained brown for contrast.

Much also depends on the main bonsai pot's shape, of which I have no information. Hopefully
It's shape is more towards rectangular then round. Look at how nicely adair's two display items show this effort to co-ordinate differences. The bonsai sits nicely positioned on a stand of proper length.

:)

Oh...well that's problematic...I was thinking the crackle white scalloped one. :( Thinking of the coloring of the top of the pot was complimentary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score

What a good idea - now I may buy lots of little pots n cute pottery and flowers hahaha :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Plans are to put it near a bougainvillea. So will that determine what goes in it or not?

Many times what is used is also dictated by what grows naturally where the main plant does as well as what season you are showing it in. For instance in Spring you might consider a single small Crocus or Wild Grape Hyacinth with a bit of grassy foliage and/or some of the cool ground covers that grow everywhere. In the Winter a nice rock or statue, etc... A good way to keep a wide variety of the small stuff is one of those X Terra Terrariums. We have one but the Wife took it over so I will be shopping this Summer :rolleyes:

Grimmy

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
In NJ, we have dwarf strawberry plants, that would spill over and then enrich the color with the brilliant red fruit.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Here's a wild strawberry I'd shown a few years ago. This is BF (before fruit) so the stems weren't weighted down.

Attachments

• strawberry 2.JPG
    strawberry 2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom