Identification and is this salvagable?

derek0456

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello all! I received my first bonsai as a Christmas gift, but between the giver purchasing it and me receiving it (2-3 weeks) I'm not sure it was properly cared for and I'm not sure if its still alive or if it can be revived. Making things harder is that the "card" that came with the tree doesn't identify it. The leaves are extremely dry and fall off at the slightest touch and I am worried that this great gift is beyond saving. So I'm looking for a few things from this community:

1) Based on the pictures of the tree and the info card, can you identify this tree?
2) Based on the pictures, can the tree be saved? If you can't tell, what could I do to know?
3) If there is any chance for the tree's survival, how can I maximize its recovery?

For a little background, I consider myself to be pretty good with veggies and flowers, but this is my first tree so I'm feeling pretty lost. I'd hate to lose my first bonsai, especially when I got it as a gift!

Thanks, and I look forward to learning so much from this community!

Derek

Attachments

• 868038A2-8597-4280-9559-96DD81C13DDC.JPG
    868038A2-8597-4280-9559-96DD81C13DDC.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 4617E1E7-3558-4995-B00F-C7BC857A03F4.JPG
    4617E1E7-3558-4995-B00F-C7BC857A03F4.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 134

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be better able to customize advice for you.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just because they call it tropical doesn't mean it is strictly tropical, assuming they are as precise in the whole description as they are in the parts thereof. There are so many possibilities with so many different protocols it ain't funny. Put it on a sunny window sill with no heater below the window and water it about once a week. Touch the media everyday with your fingertip and let it go if damp, or water it when it feels dry. After some time you can predict the wet/dry cycle as some number of days, maybe every 6 days when dormant and every 3 days when actively growing. Then you can water every calendar day that is divisible by 3 or 4 or 6 so you don't have to remember when you did it last just look at the calendar. Being dry for an extra day won't kill it, but always damp is not good. Find a container that holds about 15-20% of the volume of the pot, like a medication bottle and give it that much water each time. Feed it with any commercial liquid if it starts to bud out. Otherwise do nothing else. Do not rotate the pot. If nothing happens by ~May, save the pot and come back for advice on what to fill it with that suits your situation. Bona fortuna.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, Normally I'd say break the pot but I like that color.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a ficus....a dead one:(. Don't worry loads of people fail first time. As others have said keep the pot get a new tree. Also if you look around the forum you will find out that there are lots of better ways to grow bonsai than just getting a "ready made" one from the shop.👍

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a ficus....a dead one:(. Don't worry loads of people fail first time. As others have said keep the pot get a new tree. Also if you look around the forum you will find out that there are lots of better ways to grow bonsai than just getting a "ready made" one from the shop.👍
Not a ficus; they’re alternate growth and this one was opposite.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Maybe a Brush cherry.

Top Bottom