Identification help...a dilemma of thorns.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So the story is as follows..

A few days ago (upon a secluded walk) I stumbled across, deeply appreciated, and subsequently collected a little specimen which i had (at that time) thought I had identified as a member of the Cratageus family.
The plant traveled back with us and was subjected to a VERY crude initial “cutback”. I decided to wait until after the upcoming budbreak to make more branch selections and revisit design.
I thought my Identification was accurate, until today. I noticed the bud distribution in relationship to the thorns on some of the discarded twigs did not strike me as characteristic of Hawthorn.. so now I am beginning to think something Malus? But definitely not %100..

“Enclosed” are pictures of the specimen, as well as two different shots the twigs to convey different points of growth..... any input regarding this identification?
Thank You.

E8F8583C-2759-4632-89E6-84D02D9BC716.jpeg
D17AAF93-D727-408F-B418-69FB2A31A0D2.jpeg
9F0C689B-D5B2-4BEF-9F38-1D8FB5CB102E.jpeg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pubescence on the buds and young stems reminds me of elaeagnus, which some species will have thorns. Plus it has lenticels on the stems which reminds me of them too.

Could be elaeagnus umbellata. They can be invasive and be reseeded by wildlife, which might explain why you found it randomly.

Maybe better pics with open leaves will help us better!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The pubescence on the buds and young stems reminds me of elaeagnus, which some species will have thorns. Plus it has lenticels on the stems which reminds me of them too.

Could be elaeagnus umbellata. They can be invasive and be reseeded by wildlife.

Maybe better pics with open leaves will help us better!
Absolutely.. I’m waiting on budburst up here! :) Thank you for the input.. if there is more noticeable progression today with which would aid the identification process.. i will add.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow! Definitely an Elaeagnus umbellata! I completely forgot/overlooked the Autumn Olive while trying to make the ID... A quick tour of the UWGB pages yielded this particular guide in which the bark was actually very instrumental in ID’ing said tree! Thank you very much!
7F2F52BE-933A-40F7-98E9-5B50A9F93802.png

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Elaeagnus make lovely bonsai. Fragrant flowers in spring, reddish fruit with silver speckles in late summer or autumn.

I think you probably got the identification right, but another with Twig Thorns is buckthorn, Rhamnus. Go with Elaeagnus, unless the flowers turn out to be non-fragrant tiny yellow flowers that are sessile to the branches, in the new buds. (Elaeagnus flowers dangle down on a little stem).

Top Bottom