Identification Help (beautiful, great buy!)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I kind of feel a disservice to the art is all

I fully agree.

Balanced against what you can do to further your "beautiful" output with that $250.

I think we end up with more beauty in the world with you selling it as is. It's forgotten and your new output adds value to earth.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I mean I think aesthetically it’s pleasing- but being made aware of the “phoenix graft” ideology in the Bonsai community, I kind of feel a disservice to the art is all. That’s why it kind of crossed my mind to deconstruct it.

Aesthetic is near 100% of the value of a bonsai tree. A well done phoenix graft or Tanuki is valuable, and worthy of growing. "Purists be damned". Where tanuki get "dogged" is when they are poorly done. In my experience most bonsai clubs do allow, or even encourage the showing of tanuki, IF the fact that it is tanuki is admitted upfront. Where the controversy arises is when attempts are made to not disclose the origin of the tree. A well done tanuki is better than a poorly done "natural tree". I would not separate the juniper from the deadwood. I would continue to develop the tanuki.

Junipers, in general do not need to be repotted very often. They tend to be set back by repotting. If the media the juniper is in still drains freely I would not repot. Young junipers in training are only repotted once every 2 to 5 years. More mature junipers might only be repotted once a decade. Usually one must allow a full 12 to 24 months after repotting a juniper to all recovery, before doing any other serious training on the tree. So generally, if you repot, no pruning is done the same year. Wiring is not as stressful as pruning, so sometimes wiring is done the same year the tree is repotted. My advice to "go slow" with junipers is for those in northern climates, and those new to the hobby. If you have to ask, you are new enough that the advice to "go slow" applies. There are southern growers in for example Georgia or California, that can get away with being very aggressive with junipers, because junipers have a long growing season in southern states. As one moves north, the junipers have a shorter growing season and need to be handled with a little more care.

So if the soil for the juniper is free draining, there is no urgent need to repot. You can take your time, make contacts in your local bonsai society. I believe there are at least 2 societies on Long Island, and also a couple more in the greater NYC area. If the "local group" seems unhelpful, reach out to the other groups from the wider area. CLubs have personality, not all clubs are a good fit for everyone.

The second tree does indeed appear to be a gardenia. Gardenia jasminoides is the botanical name. THey are popular as bonsai. There seem to be a couple flower buds on your gardenia, they probably won't open for a couple months. Gardenia can be moderately winter hardy. Gardenia jasminoides is probably frost hardy to zone 7b. There are a couple more tropical species of gardenia, but for the "price" you probably got Gardenia jasminoides. G. jasminoides is probably the most popular for bonsai, and is used fairly often in Japan as bonsai.

Gardenia like an acidic soil. Since they are evergreen, I would not repot until middle of summer, after the new growth has slowed down and hardened off. If the soil the gardenia is in still drains freely, I would not worry about repotting this year. I use the same mix I use for my satsuki azalea for my gardenia. In general 100% kanuma is what I use, though in the past I have used a bark and pumice mix. Since I now keep kanuma around for the azalea, I've switched my gardenia to kanuma.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I mean I think aesthetically it’s pleasing- but being made aware of the “phoenix graft” ideology in the Bonsai community, I kind of feel a disservice to the art is all. That’s why it kind of crossed my mind to deconstruct it.
I dont see any point in deconstruct it, I dont hate Tanukis I think they are valuable in their way and I have seen Tanukis that are just a piece of art and craftship, I dont like when they are not selled or labeled as Tanuki. In Japan some Tanukis can fool even the most experienced master but they always are selled as Tanuki as it should be

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Or maybe you can be the one who makes a killer Tanuki for once!
I hear you, but I don't think its an affront to the art, I think its a good idea that is extremely difficult to pull off convincingly.
A real challenge, you might say.
But do as you will.

ArelLongIslandNY

Seedling
Reaction score
Aesthetic is near 100% of the value of a bonsai tree. A well done phoenix graft or Tanuki is valuable, and worthy of growing. "Purists be damned". Where tanuki get "dogged" is when they are poorly done. In my experience most bonsai clubs do allow, or even encourage the showing of tanuki, IF the fact that it is tanuki is admitted upfront. Where the controversy arises is when attempts are made to not disclose the origin of the tree. A well done tanuki is better than a poorly done "natural tree". I would not separate the juniper from the deadwood. I would continue to develop the tanuki.

Junipers, in general do not need to be repotted very often. They tend to be set back by repotting. If the media the juniper is in still drains freely I would not repot. Young junipers in training are only repotted once every 2 to 5 years. More mature junipers might only be repotted once a decade. Usually one must allow a full 12 to 24 months after repotting a juniper to all recovery, before doing any other serious training on the tree. So generally, if you repot, no pruning is done the same year. Wiring is not as stressful as pruning, so sometimes wiring is done the same year the tree is repotted. My advice to "go slow" with junipers is for those in northern climates, and those new to the hobby. If you have to ask, you are new enough that the advice to "go slow" applies. There are southern growers in for example Georgia or California, that can get away with being very aggressive with junipers, because junipers have a long growing season in southern states. As one moves north, the junipers have a shorter growing season and need to be handled with a little more care.

So if the soil for the juniper is free draining, there is no urgent need to repot. You can take your time, make contacts in your local bonsai society. I believe there are at least 2 societies on Long Island, and also a couple more in the greater NYC area. If the "local group" seems unhelpful, reach out to the other groups from the wider area. CLubs have personality, not all clubs are a good fit for everyone.

The second tree does indeed appear to be a gardenia. Gardenia jasminoides is the botanical name. THey are popular as bonsai. There seem to be a couple flower buds on your gardenia, they probably won't open for a couple months. Gardenia can be moderately winter hardy. Gardenia jasminoides is probably frost hardy to zone 7b. There are a couple more tropical species of gardenia, but for the "price" you probably got Gardenia jasminoides. G. jasminoides is probably the most popular for bonsai, and is used fairly often in Japan as bonsai.

Gardenia like an acidic soil. Since they are evergreen, I would not repot until middle of summer, after the new growth has slowed down and hardened off. If the soil the gardenia is in still drains freely, I would not worry about repotting this year. I use the same mix I use for my satsuki azalea for my gardenia. In general 100% kanuma is what I use, though in the past I have used a bark and pumice mix. Since I now keep kanuma around for the azalea, I've switched my gardenia to kanuma.
Wow Leo, thanks for all that valuable information ! I really appreciate that.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
A enjoyable tree is an enjoyable tree no matter whether it is a tanuki or not. Are Christopher Ofili paintings not art because he uses shit instead of oil paints I don't think so. Make the best of it and enjoy your tree, if feel I has some potential.

Top Bottom