Identification help needed

JJshives

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was given to me and I'm not sure exactly what it is. The former owner had it sitting in the same place, in the same pot for at least 15 years. Its not in the best health but I'm hoping from these 2 pics we might be able to narrow it down. Or maybe its obvious to some of you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Once I know exactly what it is I will formulate a plan to get it back in good shape and see what I can do with it. So far I've removed a lot of moss and lichens from the canopy and thick moss from the top of the soil. Its also pretty pot bound with compacted organic soil so I aerated it a bit with a skewer and covered the soil back up with pumice. I'd like to do a half bare root repot in spring unless this is a species that can handle more.

Attachments

• IMG_5100.jpeg
    IMG_5100.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5258.jpeg
    IMG_5258.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 69

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
At first glance I was thinking mugo pine as well. But the bark and needle composition scream Cedrus. It's a Cedrus.
Not sure if it's the atlantica, deodora (or libani).

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are so many cultivars. Maybe the bark would provide a better clue?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was an idiot to make a guess at a glance. Of course that is ceder foliage and buds. And it probably is a Lebanon Cedar judging by its branching habit. Though I am sure you could get this look by hacking on a deodor.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well now "Snow Sprite" has an unusual irregular and dwarfish nature so that is not really what I meant. I have had one in my garden for several years and it pretty much looks like the one you referenced except fuller and lager and has never been pruned. But yeah, Bonsai Boys has been hacked.

JJshives

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After researching all of your suggestions I'm thinking Cedrus Deodorus. I'll have to let it grow and see if I can confirm.

Are the pics not good enough for bark identification?

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After researching all of your suggestions I'm thinking Cedrus Deodorus. I'll have to let it grow and see if I can confirm.

Are the pics not good enough for bark identification?
Closer ones would help me. Then I can compare it to my planted cedrus deodara and cedrus glauca.

Top Bottom