Identification help please.

JustinP

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok fountain of all bonsai knowledge, am I in the right place for this question? I am scouting potential yamadori and this look promising, but I can't figure out what it actually is. There are quite a few in the woods near me. (Private land and I am on good terms with owners.) In the Dallas, Texas area.

There are mostly Bois D'Arc (Maclura pomifera) and Cedar Elms growing in the same location. But these are more shrubby and I could not find any over 6' tall with the largest trunk being about 2" in diameter. The leaves are smooth and leathery. Not at all rough like the Cedar Elm. The bark is smooth and grey, no fruit or flowers that I could see. They remind me a bit of Yaupon Holly leaves, but quite a bit larger.

Any ideas what this may be? Another type of elm maybe?

Thank you!

leaves.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I won't try to guess what it is, I don't know all of the natives and introduced trees that could be growing there.

Others familiar with the plants that grow there will want to see: *Mature trunks, with possible bark.
*Younger stems, 1-2 year old stems
and current year stems.
*Clear pictures of leaf arrangement, whether opposite or alternate.
*Close up of new buds, or terminal buds on the ends of branches

The leaves do kind of remind me of holly though. Hopefully you're still there to get more pictures.

JustinP

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok, the tree above may actually be a holly. I went back and found it again. It is back in the trees so it is a lot more elongated and has larger leaves than most hollies that are out in the open. But the bark is similar and it has lobed/serrated alternating leaves. That said, the branches aren't as rigid, but that may also be from lack of sun?

JustinP

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tree#2. This is the tree I THOUGHT I was asking about originally. Leaves are smooth growing in pairs. The bark is fairly smooth - actually reminds me of cantaloupe rind. The branches are very limber.

TREE2.jpgtree2 bark.jpg

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tree#2. This is the tree I THOUGHT I was asking about originally. Leaves are smooth growing in pairs. The bark is fairly smooth - actually reminds me of cantaloupe rind. The branches are very limber.

View attachment 258477View attachment 258476
Looks like a Chinese Privet. Ligustrum sinense

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Justin, it is yaupon holly Ilex vomitoria growing in shade. That is why the leaves are larger than expected. It is definitely not a privet (Ligustrum) because the leaves are alternate (not opposite) and the margins of the leaves are crenate (scalloped). Collect some in the fall--they make great bonsai!

JustinP

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Justin, it is yaupon holly Ilex vomitoria growing in shade. That is why the leaves are larger than expected. It is definitely not a privet (Ligustrum) because the leaves are alternate (not opposite) and the margins of the leaves are crenate (scalloped). Collect some in the fall--they make great bonsai!
Thank you all around. Tree #1 threw me off because of the leaf size. I’m mostly familiar with the dwarf varieties. I’ll be bringing that one home as well as tree #2. Cheers!

Top Bottom