Identification / leaves browning and yellowing

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Firstly, what sort of tree do people think this is?

For years I thought it was a Chinese elm but today I'm starting to question that. The ribs on the leaves don't seem deep or uniform enough.

Secondly, what do you think is wrong with it?

For about a year now the leaves keep going brown at the tips and then turning yellow and dropping off.

Extra info:

I've had it for many years and have been growing the trunk out in this big pot.

It's in a mixture of equal parts cat litter (molar clay), pumice and regular potting compost.

It's on my west-facing balcony in London, at the north end. So it gets a lot of sun most of the day.

I inherited it as a tiny bonsai from my grandmother, who bought it in the 80s I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_152219.jpg
    IMG_20220722_152219.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220722_152211.jpg
    IMG_20220722_152211.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220722_152202.jpg
    IMG_20220722_152202.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20220722_152150.jpg
    IMG_20220722_152150.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220722_152139.jpg
    IMG_20220722_152139.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20220722_152133.jpg
    IMG_20220722_152133.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 62

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
That is a large pot for a smaller tree. How much are you watering? Larger pots take longer to dry out with smaller trees.
In southern ca, with our heat and similar soil I would guess I’m watering about every 4-5 days or more for something like that. Watering until water comes out the drainage holes then letting it dry out some before I water again.

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That is a large pot for a smaller tree. How much are you watering? Larger pots take longer to dry out with smaller trees.
In southern ca, with our heat and similar soil I would guess I’m watering about every 4-5 days or more for something like that. Watering until water comes out the drainage holes then letting it dry out some before I water again.

Not too much. Maybe once a week, twice when it's really hot like this week.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks like some sort of crabapple with cedar apple rust fungus on it possibly. If it is a crabapple, a copper based fungicide should clear it up. Is their any junipers around? Do you ever see orange on the trunk or branches?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Apple is definitely a possibility but some of the twigs seem to have sharp points which reminds me of plum or some pear species.
Some better shots of the shorter branches to see leaf arrangement on the stems, bark on young shoots and whether those shoots have sharp points at the end may help a little more. Closer look at bark might give some clues too.

Brown tips on leaves can come from either over watering or under watering. The reason for the discrepancy is that both cause dehydration - Underwatering directly causes dehydration when the roots can't find water in the soil and overwatering because roots die and then can't take up water even though there's plenty in the soil.
You need to check soil moisture every day to gauge when it needs water. How often to water can change a lot depending on weather. I'd certainly be watering more than a couple of times each week in summer down here but your larger pot and extra potting compost may help retain moisture longer.

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It looks like some sort of crabapple with cedar apple rust fungus on it possibly. If it is a crabapple, a copper based fungicide should clear it up. Is their any junipers around? Do you ever see orange on the trunk or branches?
Interesting that you say crabapple. Weirdly in about 7 years I've never seen it flower or produce fruit. Would that be likely?

It has been right next to a juniper, yes.

And the bark looks like this.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Attachments

• 2022-07-22T18_13_52+01_00.JPEG
    2022-07-22T18_13_52+01_00.JPEG
    174.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022-07-22T18_15_33+01_00.JPEG
    2022-07-22T18_15_33+01_00.JPEG
    172.3 KB · Views: 34

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Apple is definitely a possibility but some of the twigs seem to have sharp points which reminds me of plum or some pear species.
Some better shots of the shorter branches to see leaf arrangement on the stems, bark on young shoots and whether those shoots have sharp points at the end may help a little more. Closer look at bark might give some clues too.

Brown tips on leaves can come from either over watering or under watering. The reason for the discrepancy is that both cause dehydration - Underwatering directly causes dehydration when the roots can't find water in the soil and overwatering because roots die and then can't take up water even though there's plenty in the soil.
You need to check soil moisture every day to gauge when it needs water. How often to water can change a lot depending on weather. I'd certainly be watering more than a couple of times each week in summer down here but your larger pot and extra potting compost may help retain moisture longer.
Good eye! I didn’t catch the spikes. It’s definitely a type of stone fruit.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Interesting that you say crabapple. Weirdly in about 7 years I've never seen it flower or produce fruit. Would that be likely?
Apples can be slow to mature when grown from seed. I have a few that are 10 years old and have not flowered yet. Apples also flower on small fruiting spurs and rarely on vigorous vegetative growth so pruning can also affect whether they flower.

Still not really convinced on any of the guesses so far but not sure what else to suggest.

SlayingCondors

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update on the whole tree:
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-10 at 3.31.43 PM.jpeg

On identification:
Still not sure whether it's some sort of apple or stone fruit.

Here are some pictures of the new growth on the apex and one of the lower branches.
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-10 at 3.25.28 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-10 at 3.25.28 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-10 at 3.31.43 PM (1).jpeg

On the problem:
I've moved it to a sunnier spot and also started watering it a bit more, but the leaves are still turning brown on the tips and then some of them are going yellow.

Less watering didn't seem to help. More watering didn't either. Does that mean it's likely a disease?

My only other thought is that it is a really free draining soil and while some of the molar clay does stay moist for a while, maybe it doesn't retain enough for the tree. I could seriously up the watering schedule and see how it responds?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brown tips commonly indicate drying, but these are so strongly zoned that it is a mystery to me.

Top Bottom