Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello again! I'm very excited to announce I have purchased another bonsai (maybe I should wait a little longer to make sure I'm sticking with this hobby?... Nah). I actually feel pretty proud of this one, because I've seen similar trees online sell for more. Obviously I'm sure there is a quality difference, but I was excited to get such a thick trunk for $22! Anyway, I just need help identifying it, as Costa Farms apparently doesn't think nomenclature is pertinent to learning how to care for a tree. I'm thinking it's a golden gate ficus, based off of the trunk. Let me know what it actually is! Any care tips along with species name are welcome! PS—sorry the images aren't great.

IMG-8845.JPGIMG-8846.JPGIMG-8847.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is a ficus of some sort. Probably doesn't matter which as they all seem to appreciate similar conditions and treatment. Not looking super healthy at the moment but as you are going into winter now you have no choice but to give it the best care you can indoors until weather warms up enough to start feeding and repot in late spring.
Ficus are mostly sub tropical or tropical so don't let it get cold. Find the best light you can where it will not get cold over winter. Let mix almost dry out before watering. Figs can go longer than many other plants with little water so drier is probably safer than constantly wet, especially when it is indoors.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
But still feed it regularly. Ficus dont go into dormancy and they need feetilizer year round

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe I should wait a little longer to make sure I'm sticking with this hobby?... Nah
Hm.. Wondering..
Maybe not to wait and see whether you stick with this hobby.

I would however recommend starting a lot of reading, looking at good bonsai, understanding how big some of them are and what makes good bonsai. I think most people getting into bonsai accumulate trees very quickly. (I know I did) only to realize 2 years in that what they bought in the first months will on the long run not deliver what they hope for (I know that happened to me). Leaving you with a bunch of trees that you would rather not have on your bench.

On the other hand.. I see that this goes in cycles: Happy with my trees. Go to a good bonsai show. Get home. Toss 30% of my trees. Get better trees. Happy with my trees. Repeat.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus microcarpa, tiger bark variety. Pretty nice starter tree, and a good price in my opinion. It wants heat, light and moisture. Keep it indoors when low temps fall below 40 F. Otherwise it will do better outside unless you have significant supplemental light indoors. Moving into winter you probably need it inside in a south or west facing window. Find some extra light for it too.

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thank you all so much for the identification and advice! I'm glad we all agree it's a ficus; that makes my job easier on research ;)
This baby will be in my windowsill under a grow light to supplement. Hopefully he does as "well" as my ginseng which is in the same windowsill and has a decent amount of new growth without the light.

@leatherback I can definitely see what you are saying happening to me! I tend to be a bit of a hoarder -- when I find a hobby, I want a lot of it! The good news is, I'm already a plant lover, so hopefully bonsai will stick. And I see what you're saying about "junk trees", but perhaps that's some of the fun—molding something not-so-aesthetic into something much prettier! Once I've established I'm not going to kill every tree I touch, I plan on saving and investing in more "quality" trees. In the meantime, I'll definitely heed your advice and continue researching and learning as much as I can about bonsai.

Thank you again everyone for the help!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ficus, and it could be retusa or it could be microcarpa, as a general rule, F. retusa will tend to have leaves over 4 inch in length. F. microcarpa will tend to have leaves less than 4 inches in length.

Though there is a range of overlap in leaf sizes. A F retusa with good branch ramification can have smaller than 4 inch leaves.

Ficus microcarpa is more common in the windowsill plant trade.

Regardless, care for both is the same.

Top Bottom