Identify my tree?!?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all!

I have no idea what this monster tree is but it’s deciduous here in the UK. There’s not much to identify it by, just the bark but I’m sure someone out there knows!

Thanks for the future replies!

BenFFEC2D43-6D67-4285-A826-ED82FEF37C17.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Francesco84 blocking the fire exit....
That's a different kind of ignorant!

Forgive me @BarkLeafTrees, I was talking with Francesco about the "ignorant" feeling a tree can give in another thread.

I tend to notice blocked fire exits due to a public safety thing I have.

And that man running away looks funny as hell! "Big ass bloody stick".

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should do the tictoc where you are there sweeping and then jump up into the sign and drop your broom.

That's what this picture looks like.

Sorce

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not much to go on there. Usually when IDing a tree we need a leaf, flower or fruits. At the very least we need to know if it’s alternate or opposite. What made you decide that you wanted to collect this?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it a hawthorn?
Is it a willow?

Noooo It must be an elm!!

But wait for leaves. Then you get a much better idea. No twigs with buds have you?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bark and trunk alone is not enough. A twig would help. Twigs, leaves and flowers are needed for a total diagnosis.

There are bare winter twig keys, that can usually get you to species. Leaf & Twig is needed for 95% confidence.

Leaf, twig, bark sample, flowers and seed are required for 100% confidence and to formally describe a new species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not much to go on there. Usually when IDing a tree we need a leaf, flower or fruits. At the very least we need to know if it’s alternate or opposite. What made you decide that you wanted to collect this?
It was going to be thrown away, just seemed a shame for something so old to be wasted!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little update on this tree it’s just started pushing some buds out, I left it in a big box with plenty of holes in it.
Anyone have any idea what it could be with a close up of the bark and the bud.

Attachments

• 8E23F7BF-B2DC-4AD6-8F88-F8CC244C4CC2.jpeg
    8E23F7BF-B2DC-4AD6-8F88-F8CC244C4CC2.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 21

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come back when you have leaves. I am leaning toward ash or elm but it is not possible to say at this stage.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is not properly alive until the roots get started again. Lots of collected trees grow new shoots using stored resources from the trunk but if no roots grow they eventually die. I've had collected trunks and cuttings grow long, strong shoots through to mid summer before wilting and eventually dying.
That bud looks very much like and elm and the bark matches so I'm going for an early prediction of elm.
Good news is that elms are quite easy to transplant so it is likely that this one will be OK.

Reactions: n8

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Lots of collected trees grow new shoots using stored resources from the trunk but if no roots grow they eventually die.

Yes, that's right.

Big scots pines for instance can look like they've made it for several months, even developping new candles, and the, they die. This is particularly true with conifers.

If this ... mysterious tree is a deciduous, it has more chance to survive.

Top Bottom