Identify pine?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello! I was hoping someone could help me identify the species of this pine tree. It is located in NJ. Thanks!

Attachments

• Pine 1.jpg
    Pine 1.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Pine 2.jpg
    Pine 2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 83

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is the tree anywhere near the pine barrens or coast? If so it could be pitch pine.

What’s the general needle length? It looks like 3 needles per sheath.
Do the needles make an audible snap and come apart if you snap one? Or do they just bend?
Is there epicormic growth in the trunk or larger branches?
Are the fresher cones prickly?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also, how many inches are the cones?
How flexible are the branches?
Scotch pine, Austrian, and red pine are also possibilities (if your tree has 2 needles per sheath.)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scotch pine, Austrian, and red pine are also possibilities (if your tree has 2 needles per sheath.)
Very insightful questions;).

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It’s two needles per sheath, I’d say the cones are 3-4 inches when dried up. The needles are longer I think, maybe 5-6 inches? Tbh I don’t think they’re native to NJ, they were planted for landscaping. I’m just curious bc all of them have cool movement and was wondering if the species would make good bonsai.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They plant a lot of Japanese black pine in NJ because they are salt tolerant. Most of the pines I see in NJ are JBP, pitch or virginia. And it's definitely not virginia. And if it doesn't have 3 needles than its not pitch.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They plant a lot of Japanese black pine in NJ because they are salt tolerant. Most of the pines I see in NJ are JBP, pitch or virginia. And it's definitely not virginia. And if it doesn't have 3 needles than its not pitch.
Gotcha, thanks a bunch for clearing that up!

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It’s two needles per sheath, I’d say the cones are 3-4 inches when dried up. The needles are longer I think, maybe 5-6 inches? Tbh I don’t think they’re native to NJ, they were planted for landscaping. I’m just curious bc all of them have cool movement and was wondering if the species would make good bonsai.
The cone and needle lengths you mention correspond more closely to Austrian pine, but PA_Penjing brings up a good point. If they plant a lot of JBP in NJ then there’s a good chance it’s that. I’d check for minute prickles on the cones, if they are pointy it’s more likely a jbp, if they’re more blunt, then it’s more likely Austrian.
Either way, both seem to make good bonsai.

PS. Try snapping a needle in half. If it breaks cleanly then it probably is a red pine..

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh yeah @Cruiser has good points. JBP needles are straight up sharp. And they smell like lemon curd when broken. Austrian pine is hard for me to idfentify but a potential ID too

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Gotcha, can you apply JBP care to an Austrian pine?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Austrian pine are generally a single flush pine, whereas Japanese black pine produce two flushes of growth per season, so care is different.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Austrian pine are generally a single flush pine, whereas Japanese black pine produce two flushes of growth per season, so care is different.
Gotcha, sounds good thank you

Top Bottom