Identify/styling help for newly aquired juniper

Muchas_Plantas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a/
I picked this up at the consigment tables of the GSBF mammoth auction last month for 25 bucks. I think it was over looked because it was very shaggy, overgrown, elongated and neglected. As a beginner i saw this as an opportunity to learn about pruning and actually like where it ended up after 4 hrs of careful pruning.

Not sure where to go from here... I know it will need more branches taken but i will need to wait for it to bounce back as i removed a lot of foliage. It has certainly been wired before, and im not sure what type of juniper it is. Chinesis, im sure. Sergeants juniper? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190306_140933.jpg
    20190306_140933.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 95

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello @Muchas_Plantas welcome to forum.
Beginning in the hobby...did you remove any foliage between what is there now, and the trunk?
Biggest advice is not to remove any inner growth, before you know where you'd like to go with this.
Maybe too late now, but remove no more inner growth.
We love pictures, so before and after pics rock, now that we have this afterwards.

Having spent 4 hrs removing a lot of the "shaggy overgrown neglected" foliage
probably best not to remove the pot it's in this year, but pay careful attention to how
water moves through it. Always water based on needs checking the top 1/2-3/4" of soil.
You'll gain an intimate feel of when it will need watering as you learn each tree.
Even then, you still will have to check, rather than a routine watering schedule.
It will become more and more routine, and it will change based on season, daily weather changes
locationing (ok I made that word up) or changing placement, growth and soil composition as well
as degrading soils. Also health of the plant will lend to changes in watering routines.
Watering properly is no doubt the most crucial point of survival.
I see you have several other plants there so you must have some experience along the way
but the watering point must be stressed and worth re-mentioning.

Most likely you will jin that long sparse branch on the left on the inside of a trunk bend.
That is, if you don't do an all out trunk chop just immediately below that branch.
However, you could let that branch grow on to gain girth before jinning a few more years unchecked
save for moving it to allow Sun light to branches lower. The bigger the branch the better the jin will be.
If you don't, chop the trunk (and timing is up to you as growing the top out will increase girth some)
the tree should be shortened somewhat. I'm all for reducing in July if you have not repotted...
...but 1st you should edit your account to include your USDA grow zone and a general location
so others will be able to more precisely help with specific species and timings.
Lets stop there and find out where you are 1st.

Now would be a good time to STOP and do nothing! I repotted my procumbens cascade last April
because it had begun to move with growth. It was not enough growth, and set it back most of the year.
Had I waited to mid May I would have gained a years growth rather than survival. Besides watering
timing of events is everything. Some species have a much more broad window of time frames for events than others.

Muchas_Plantas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a/
Wow thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Info updated: i live in zone 9a/9b sonoma County california. I removed some inner foliage because it was nothing but runners and long single thread needles thst just hung off in bunches but i will try to approach that differently next time. I will not re pot for a year, or at least until i know it's fully recovered. I do intend to chop it somewhere... And Will for sure jin some scarce branches. It has been steadily raining but i still keep an eye on the days where it does not I feel it could use a re pot as it has taproots poking out of the top of the soil. I just covered them in sphagnum for now.maybe they will become a feature some day. Really learning my patience there. Its takin a while. But im really takin my time. Thanks for the reply and would you happen to have a clue as to what type of juniper it is?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Info updated: i live in zone 9a/9b sonoma County california. I removed some inner foliage because it was nothing but runners and long single thread needles thst just hung off in bunches but i will try to approach that differently next time. I will not re pot for a year, or at least until i know it's fully recovered. I do intend to chop it somewhere... And Will for sure jin some scarce branches. It has been steadily raining but i still keep an eye on the days where it does not I feel it could use a re pot as it has taproots poking out of the top of the soil. I just covered them in sphagnum for now.maybe they will become a feature some day. Really learning my patience there. Its takin a while. But im really takin my time. Thanks for the reply and would you happen to have a clue as to what type of juniper it is?
A tap root, is the main heavier root we prune away to get more finer roots and sit more flat in a pot.
Typical grows downwards.
No, I intentionally did not address which juniper it may be, I don't know, although a scale rather than needle juniper.
Check near the bottom of this page or just click on the resources tab.
https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/
There's 3 short articles there, on developing foliage pads.
I have a trunk chop in mind (but others will chime in on styling ideas for the future).
Mostly due to the fact that, that branch I referred to that is so sparse inwards, yet it is the largest branch.
Being the largest branch midways up to a reduced apex is not the deal breaker.
The deal breaker comes with the lack of foliage on that branch...for me.
I would keep it if it were mine, remove branch below it, wire that big branch reduced by 25% or so,
lower it, and put movement into it similar to the 1st left branch or best you can carefully, to tighten up the sparse branch.
A branch inside a curve is not always removed. Sometimes, in this case you are forced to work with such
or remove the branch that leaves a lot of bare space creating an unbalanced trunkline.
Then you COULD go for a much taller tree utilizing the branch, but you see where I'm going with this?
You've created handicaps, by removing what you thought were possibly energy suckers, that could've tightened up the form.
It is possible to get back budding with a healthy tree, but usually at the trunk line or closer to existing foliage.
With luck, a back bud will appear where you want, but takes years to be a good alternative.

The thin sparse inner foliage is, can be GOLD! When you prune the outer foliage, clean underneath the pads
wire the branches and feed well, those spindly "suckers" will take the energy that was being applied elsewhere
that no longer exist, and replace it.

The roots above the soil line should be removed. Just let them do their thing in the free air and tend to them at repot.
Get the foliage LUSH and do not prune before/after repotting next year. Solar pads they are! Just keep the underside
of the pads cleaned (remove downward growing), wire in the Fall.

For wiring, visit craftsy.com, join-free search Bonsai Wiring Essentials. Colin Lewis wiring, add free class to cart and bookmark it!!!!!!

Go buy some junipers in 1-3g pots nursery cans, or pre bonsai. There's many in here from California that can assist in helping
you find a local club to join. Shimpaku may be what you have, but try both scale and needle foliage junipers. Have fun.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Muchas Plantas juni.jpg
You may not want to go this far, but it really overcomes the handicaps as I see it.
The right branch becomes the new bonsai. The white area is jin, the bottom red line is the bottom of the jin.
I would personally plant this in the ground tilted next year, (after wiring the new leader this Fall) and slicing the roots
at the same angle you want the tree to exit the soil line. This will provide much better branch selections, create better taper
and compact the tree. Of course it would grow unchecked a year, cleaned up and still grown in ground the next few growing seasons.
Rotate the pot in the direction of the arrows and does the trunk have any movement there, or just straight?
1551927845865.png
Here's a WP I let grow in ground unchecked too long and the style just got too far away from me to be good material.
1551927991936.png
So with the helps of 0soyoung I used the bottom branch he thought would be the best bonsai within.
1551928081890.png
Then wired it a good deal
1551928201775.png
Now I have branch selections I did not have before. Still in ground and working on lifting it in a couple years
as well as the Shirasawanum maple just below it. The maple I'm struggling with due to my ignorance and lack of experience.
I think it's more I don't want to screw it up because I planted it there 10 yrs ago and the graft broke which was band aided and healed.
I feel like I need a mentor for that tree as well as this EWP.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like Prostrata Juniper that needs more sun. I have many Prostrata and sometimes the back facing the wall gets really leggy and looks just like that. They can make good bonsai so get that tree sun and fertilizer so it is ready for work.

Top Bottom