Identify This Fly

Maveri9720

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hi everyone. Just getting back into bonsai after an almost 15 year hiatus. This site has been a tremendous source of info for me over the past few months, so thank you to everyone.

I have a crape myrtle which has these tiny flies under the leaves and I don't know what they are. From what I researched, they aren't white flies or fungus gnats. Also, I only see them on the leaves and not in the soil. I bought this tree from a nursery a month ago and it's still in its nursery container with their soil. I was going to leave it in there for a little while, as the container is pretty big for the tree and I wanted it to thicken up and fill out.

I just battled ants farming aphids on this tree as well and have found success. No more ants or aphids, but these flies have been around for awhile. Every morning, I check the entire underside of the tree and usually kill at least 10 of them. What are they and how do I get rid of them? Will a repot into bonsai soil have any effect? BTW, I live in South Florida. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Bonsai Pest.jpg
    Bonsai Pest.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Bonsai Pest 2.jpg
    Bonsai Pest 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 44

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m pretty sharp when it comes to insect ID but those photos are not in focus enough. Try catching a few of those critters and putting them in the freezer overnight and then get a photo on a white sheet of paper. You may even need magnification to get close enough to images so someone can see identifying features.

Top Bottom