If a long candle at this time points west

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there a good shot that the buds that will develop in a few months will....after decandling ...a BIT...will be able to be trained to head north? Or so?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there a good shot that the buds that will develop in a few months will....after decandling ...a BIT...will be able to be trained to head north? Or so?
This seems like a question that would not apply to a tree in a pot which can be turned.
I'm also assuming this is a 'trees grow toward the most sunlight' sort of thing you're getting at. If such is the case, then in the northern hemisphere, getting candles on the west side of a tree in the ground would imply that's where it gets the most sun and warmth, and that more candles can be expected on the north as the season progresses. Cut the others as they come, and the north side of the tree may try and compensate some.
Theoretically.
I'm actually only answering because I'm having fun trying to figure out what the heck the question is supposed to be to begin with.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This seems like a question that would not apply to a tree in a pot which can be turned.
I'm also assuming this is a 'trees grow toward the most sunlight' sort of thing you're getting at. If such is the case, then in the northern hemisphere, getting candles on the west side of a tree in the ground would imply that's where it gets the most sun and warmth, and that more candles can be expected on the north as the season progresses. Cut the others as they come, and the north side of the tree may try and compensate some.
Theoretically.
I'm actually only answering because I'm having fun trying to figure out what the heck the question is supposed to be to begin with.

I don't know how to phrase it either. Lemme try a picture.

candle.jpg

Any more needed? :)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, like cut and grow technique to direct new growth in the desired direction?
Don't think that'll work with candles, but then I'm a novice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

NW since you "don't want" 90's.

Regards to the sun and compass since he brought it up....

I found they all grow in the direction they're facing and up, not as directionally towards the sun as other things.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can always wire the branch to reorient the buds. But I wouldn't wire the candle.
You can however, maybe, if you're reallt careful, use some soft plastic or parafilm to wedge it in a certain direction.
Not sure how you'd do that, but I have had some shoots under wires making cooky bends.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
When you break a candle like that the shoot usually grows 2-5 new buds from the needles near the cut end. Chances are one or more of them will grow upward as illustrated so you can just remove the ones that are not growing in the correct direction.

Even if the new buds are not growing right they can be wired into position after they have hardened - usually the following spring.

Just be aware that spring candles usually have a bare 'neck' If you leave that section and use it in branch structure the tree will never bud in that part and it will always be bare. That may make the ramification a bit open for some designs. That's why we usually decandle right at the base of the spring candles. Replacement shoots rarely have a bare section so branch ramification made from smaller replacement shoots after decandling will be much tighter.

Top Bottom