If a portion of your soil is better than the rest

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Will roots tend to populate the better soil? Not talking REALLY bad soil....just...better soil in part of the pot.

?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of course, but no.

It could seem so, but won't have been.

If we don't anthropomorohize the trees, we realize they don't have that human characteristic of, "I don't wanna live there".

But they won't if they don't have to.

If we cut on em a lot, the tops, they'll never need to utilize that space for roots.

A tree untended tends to find the ground, then they take on human Characteristics again, because IMO....

A tree wants the ground like a crackhead wants crack!

So there is a thing that says, that unused space will never exist.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What about HBR method?
I have a very large juniper rootball that I HBR'd in '19.
Gonna let it be this year and go at the other half in 2021.....I'd be lying if I said I was not a bit concerned.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Roots are technically described as being "adventitious". That means they grow where conditions allow and stop where conditions are too poor. They exchange the building blocks of minerals and water they absorb for the sugars produced via photosynthesis in the leaves. That exchange is a two-way street which is approximately a one-for-one exchange. If a root under a driveway can't fine water to send minerals to the leaves, that by definition would dry up the pipeline in both directions. Without sugars from the leaves, the root stops growing. The root wouldn't necessarily die. If the driveway was busted out and conditions changed for the better, life goes on.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Of course, but no.

It could seem so, but won't have been.

If we don't anthropomorohize the trees, we realize they don't have that human characteristic of, "I don't wanna live there".

But they won't if they don't have to.

If we cut on em a lot, the tops, they'll never need to utilize that space for roots.

A tree untended tends to find the ground, then they take on human Characteristics again, because IMO....

A tree wants the ground like a crackhead wants crack!

So there is a thing that says, that unused space will never exist.

Sorce

ZEN ........wats does we do? 🤪

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The answer is roots should quickly populate the better soil. Roots won’t abandon the old soil unless it’s toxic, but the better soil would allow stronger growth. Some trees have direct links with roots and lifelines to particular branches. So those branches might grow more than others. Which could cause your tree to become “unbalanced”.

This one reason to pot the tree centered in the pot. To keep the root strength balanced, thus keeping the canopy balanced. (Yes, I am aware for ovals and rectangles the trunk should be slightly off center.)
The Half Bare Root procedure is useful to transition a tree from poor soil to good soil. HBR the weak roots first. Then a year or two later, do the other side.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ZEN ........wats does we do? 🤪

Don't waste time worrying about it!

You might forget to check for yourself when the time comes!

If we think about the tree as an antenna top and bottom, to read weather, and mycorrhiza the more vast connecting links, we see why setting a pot on the ground in fall is far safer than setting it on a shelf in the garage.

Just don't let that escape root go so far for crack, it cracks your pot!

But you can know now, why it becomes so extremely important to do more than just toss trees in a garage over winter, you have to provide a place that makes up for all that antenna you take away.
That requires sophisticated and usually expensive equipment, if the goal is sustainable excellent bonsai.

And that small open space of insignificance gets filled with knowledge from Mother Earth herself.

Thanks Mum! We'll listen!

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
But you can know now, why it becomes so extremely important to do more than just toss trees in a garage over winter, you have to provide a place that makes up for all that antenna you take away.

Sorce

How's Motel 6? 🥴

Top Bottom