If every family in the Country grew one Bonsai tree ( would we solve Global warming ? )

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If every family in the Country grew one Bonsai tree ( would we solve Global warming ? )

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
No. Not even nearly. There are a few reasons why but mainly the number is inconsequential. Even if every person on earth grew a bonsai.

"The previous global estimate was 400 billion trees worldwide. This would equal about 61 trees for every person on Earth. For the recent estimate of over 3.04 trillion trees, there are 422 trees per person, the release noted."
SOURCE

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Trees only temporarily store carbon. When the tree decomposes or burns that carbon goes back into the atmosphere. Planting trees is better than not planting trees, but trees alone will not offset the release of millions of years of plant matter into the air in the last 100 years. I wonder if someone has done the math, how many trees need to be grown and stored to sequester all our carbon.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trees only temporarily store carbon. When the tree decomposes or burns that carbon goes back into the atmosphere. Planting trees is better than not planting trees, but trees alone will not offset the release of millions of years of plant matter into the air in the last 100 years. I wonder if someone has done the math, how many trees need to be grown and stored to sequester all our carbon.

They don’t need to be stored. When one tree dies, another grows to take it’s place, provided you don’t clear the land. That said, building things with wood stores the carbon indefinitely, provided you don’t burn them when you’re finished using them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No. Not even nearly. There are a few reasons why but mainly the number is inconsequential. Even if every person on earth grew a bonsai.

"The previous global estimate was 400 billion trees worldwide. This would equal about 61 trees for every person on Earth. For the recent estimate of over 3.04 trillion trees, there are 422 trees per person, the release noted."
SOURCE
I’ve done my share. In my lifetime so far I have planted a few thousands. I hope to do more. This winter I collected a few buckets of BC cones. I hope to seed those seeds some where.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i'm doing some serious fact hunting but i can't find the correct article that i read before some time ago

ANYWAY

portulacaria afra is this magical tree with phenomenal air cleaning abilities, far higher than average trees. HOWEVER, if you were to replace all the flora in your garden with only as much of this tree as you can fit, you still wouldn't have enough to reduce your carbon footprint to 0.

SO
you're keeping only 1 tree, and you trim and shape it to fit in a bonsai pot, it's a great motive to create an entire bonsai culture in your country, but sadly won't make any noticeable difference (if any) to global warming.

only person who ever made a contribution to reverse global warming was Genghis Kahn, and he did that by murdering like a fifth of the global population in which forests were able to retake land that was used for agriculture (wouldn't really recommend doing that)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The trick with storing carbon in trees is that when they die the carbon isn't released atmospherically, at least not much of it. The vast majority of it winds up in the ground, even if they die in a forest fire. Most trees destroyed in fires don't burn up completely, or even mostly. The foliage and bark burn away, and the wood is generally charred but not burned up.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Planting trees and carbon footprint greenwashing (say an airline plants a tree to offset the absurd thousands of gallons of jet fuel they burn), is all putting band aids on a gaping flesh wound that needed stitches years ago. The greatest amount of carbon is stored in the cold depths of the ocean. With global warming the amount of CO2 being released from these stores makes planting trees to curb global warming like putting up a tent made of newspaper in an oncoming hurricane.

According to this chart, the greatest polluters of CO2 comes from transportation, industry, and electricity (In the u.s.). Sure, we can all plant trees and pat ourselves on the back, but to make a real impact trade in your gas vehicles now for electric. Tell the city to switch to electric busses. We have an electric car and it is *awesome*. No idea what airplanes are doing to get off fossil fuels but they are big time polluters. Any negativities you hear about electric vehicles is nonsense made up by gas lobbyists clutching their pearls. Push for wind, hydro and solar power. Kill coal for good (ridiculous people are still mining the stuff). Did you know wind turbines killing animals is a myth also perpetuated by gas tycoons? More birds are killed by outdoor cats and window collisions (Keep your cat inside).

1669184299978.png

Rowbow

Sapling
Reaction score

SOURCE
With the amount of Bonsai some of you have we are nearly there

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Planting trees and carbon footprint greenwashing (say an airline plants a tree to offset the absurd thousands of gallons of jet fuel they burn), is all putting band aids on a gaping flesh wound that needed stitches years ago. The greatest amount of carbon is stored in the cold depths of the ocean. With global warming the amount of CO2 being released from these stores makes planting trees to curb global warming like putting up a tent made of newspaper in an oncoming hurricane.

According to this chart, the greatest polluters of CO2 comes from transportation, industry, and electricity (In the u.s.). Sure, we can all plant trees and pat ourselves on the back, but to make a real impact trade in your gas vehicles now for electric. Tell the city to switch to electric busses. We have an electric car and it is *awesome*. No idea what airplanes are doing to get off fossil fuels but they are big time polluters. Any negativities you hear about electric vehicles is nonsense made up by gas lobbyists clutching their pearls. Push for wind, hydro and solar power. Kill coal for good (ridiculous people are still mining the stuff). Did you know wind turbines killing animals is a myth also perpetuated by gas tycoons? More birds are killed by outdoor cats and window collisions (Keep your cat inside).

View attachment 463839

Great post, let’s not forget about agriculture. Animal agriculture aka factory farming accounts for the vast majority of that 11%. Most of this could be reduced by shifting to more plant-based nutrition.

Eating a *mostly* plant based diet is one of the most effective ways to minimize one’s personal carbon footprint.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

View attachment 463839
SMH

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Great post, let’s not forget about agriculture. Animal agriculture aka factory farming accounts for the vast majority of that 11%. Most of this could be reduced by shifting to more plant-based nutrition.
Regarding animal husbandry: Cows were only meant to eat a grass based diet. The horrid feed and excess of corn they feed cows make them very sick and produce more methane. Imagine if you ate the worst indigestible food possible, you’d be tooting nonstop. It is an easy lifestyle change to still eat what you want, but consider eating less (meat) and supporting small local ranchers who graze their cattle. Even better, support bison ranchers. Back when bison numbered in the millions, their nomadic grazing habits (cows like to stick to one spot which is why humans have to physically drive cattle from one place to another whereas bison were smart enough to roam) and poop nourished the most amazing diverse prairie grasslands. Now much of that land is dust.

It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of to ship chickens to China to slaughter.

Last edited:

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the point may have been overlooked here. It wouldn't be about the number of trees, that would be inconsequential. It would be about the awareness and appreciation of nature that "doing" bonsai tends to give one. If that were the case, I think a larger portion of the population would be tuned onto issues like deforestation and invasive species.

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've lately reading a lot about soil carbon sequestration and regenerative agriculture. If true, it's great news. I cannot shake the suspicion that there is a lot of handwaving involved in the science, thought.

Top Bottom