If I could spend a day with a Nutter

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pick three of the characters you would like to spend a day with. Maybe a why would be cool too.

I would love to spend a day with Mark Rockwell. ( @rockm). I think the longevity of working thru the many forums we have been on thru the years would be fun to talk about.

Would love to spend a day with @Vance Wood. I think hearing all the zingers and one liners in person would be cool.

I would also like to spend a day with @derek7745. I think the willingness he shows to understand what’s here and sift thru the crap is commendable.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mach5 - Deciduous Refinement
Crust - Display, pot/tree descisions, conifers
Johng - I don't spend enough time with him even though he is relatively close by

I would have said Smoke, but you started the thread and I didn't want to be accused of sucking up.

Regards,
Martin

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mach5 even though I already have, would love to again!
Brian van fleet he’s given me lots of help and I like his aesthetic.
Crust - cause he’s crust...
Smoke, and someday I will...
Rivers edge too

Sorry for breaking the first rule of the thread.?

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
There are quite a few that I would like to meet, I think we should have some sort of B-nut convention...

Just off the top of my head

Smoke @Smoke - I could use some maple tips
Scott @markyscott - I must see that Texas shohin BC that he has oh, and who doesn't like Shiner
Brian @Brian Van Fleet - Kinda sort of in my back yard, and some really nice trees

Like I said, three makes it tough! There are so many cool and interesting folks here.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can only narrow it down to four (in no particular order): I would say

Al @Smoke - For his horticultural knowledge, and DIY approach.
Brian
@Brian Van Fleet - I love a variety of his trees, his junipers especially.
Sergio @MACH5 - Great eye for design, especially deciduous work! Can’t wait to meet you in February!
Adair @Adair M - Because has some killer Shohin, and a vast knowledge on a variety of topics/tree species.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@sorce Because he intrigues me
@Brian Van Fleet Because he has already been to visit me... and I would like to visit him
@Smoke I would like him to come down so he can cry over the sad state of my trident
@Walter Pall Because in addition to my respect for him as a bonsai artist, I would like to learn more about good German beer!

I cheated and went to four... but the second I hesitated for a moment and though about it, I could expand my list to 10 in a heartbeat!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
[QUOTE="@Walter Pall Because in addition to my respect for him as a bonsai artist, I would like to learn more about good German beer!”[/QUOTE]

I am totally down for learning more about German beer! He was drinking Yuengling when he was in the states. He told me that “yuengling” is an old way of saying young man. Probably carried over when the family emigrated to the US many years ago.

For now, the only place to get really fresh German beer around here is at the Biergarten in Asbury Park.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For now, the only place to get really fresh German beer around here is at the Biergarten in Asbury Park.

Maloney's in Matawan has a dedicated German beer section. Usually have 10-15 German beers on tap... they rotate kegs very often. Food is excellent as well. Have been going there for years.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maloney's in Matawan has a dedicated German beer section. Usually have 10-15 German beers on tap... they rotate kegs very often. Food is excellent as well. Have been going there for years.

Maloney’s is a place I haven’t been to in a long time, I will have to pay it a visit again!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When I travel, if I know what town a BNut is in, I frequently will look up random BNuts and invite myself over. I met up with @Carol 83, I've hung out with @sorce, I want to do it again soon, he is fun, wide ranging conversations. and if anyone does end up in the suburban wastelands between Chicago and Milwaukee, let me know and I'll gladly meet you somewhere, show you the local bonsai sights.

I would love to have half a day to hang out with Al, Smoke, or Brian VF, or Mark Rockwell, or any of the other BNutters. @moke if I get to Utah, I will let you know and try to drop in.

I love shooting the breeze about trees.
Leo

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I can't pare it down to three. There are many I would like to meet, some to glean every ounce of advice out of them that I could, and some I'd just like to hang out with and have a beer. I've had the pleasure of meeting @Leo in N E Illinois and @Stickroot . I regret that I never got to meet @GrimLore . He would have been on my top 3, for sure.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@maria kapra for sure
I can’t find the other forum names right now but one in California and one in Florida.
There are so many here that aren’t always active that I would enjoy meeting.
I would have a coffee with most anyone though :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Leo in N E Illinois - he gives good advice and even treats newbie questions as serious discussion.

@sorce - Not sure what we'd talk about but I know it would be an interesting day.

@markyscott - I enjoy reading his various articles and seems like he's always got a good project going on.

Hopefully as this hobby progresses I meet more of the people off this forum and others I frequent. So far I've only met @TN Jim last fall at the NBS meeting.

Top Bottom