If I wanted to give one of my FL-generic bonsai species to someone in MA (inside in winter of course), how do I choose 'optimal' species?

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've got a large # of bonsai to choose from (will list species below) and desire to setup a 'finished' specimen IE I'd be carving a stone container (show-pot volume) and planting a quasi-finished specimen, would cut/style it to as 'finished' as was practical, then someone in MA awaits their mailbox for the carefully-packaged specimen! Most of my species are "hardy"/'resilient'/etc so almost all seem great candidates, was wondering what considerations I'm overlooking!

Species (order of what's easiest for me to give/choose from) Bougainvillleas, crape myrtles, jades, ficus, bald cypress (though these'd be hard & expensive to ship, relatively) Was thinking that since none of my trees require dormancy (some like it but for instance every one of my BC's is growing right now) then it could be placed outdoors in the summer & brought inside for fall&winter, I know growth-rate will go to hell but if it's a quasi-finished piece that's fine they will get to learn a lil (it's a family member so would be there for all guidance of course!)

Thanks a ton for any advice! Also, Re shipping, would love to hear if it's a 1-2d window or strict overnighting? (no, I have not UTFSE on that one yet was kinda hoping someone would mention shipping-stuff in reply here ;P Have neverr shipped before but would be confident doing so with most specimen, I imagine it gets pricey fast though so am hoping to stay 'desktop' size here!)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, Jade or Ficus, and you need to acclimate it to lower light levels for two to four weeks so it doesn't go straight from plant heaven to plant Hell. I've shipped via regular ground UPS many times in the dead of winter from Naples and never lost anything. But. I always used my dirty laundry as packing. I take it to the depot on Monday and it arrives in Detroit on Thursday or Friday. It goes from depot to depot and spends nights being shuffled to another trailer in a depot and its days on the road where the daytime sun is shinning on the trailer. A good portion of the trip is through the south so the weather usually isn't terrible until sometime after it leaves Atlanta., half way home.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will you ship it with a heat pack?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey I am in MA if you need a Guinea pig: ). I have my jaboticaba under grow lights so they do ok over the winter. In fact they usually get a burst of growth when I move them inside.

Top Bottom