If Kanuma supply dries up...what will you use for azalea?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If for some reason, we can no longer get Kanuma...what is the next best thing to use for azalea (in general not just satsuki)?

I asked the same question on another thread but later realized it warrants its own thread.

I'd specially appreciate response from experienced azalea growers.

Thank you.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In 3 different areas in New York I have quite simply used the Miracle grow mix for a LOT of years with good results. They actually even did better at Mother's house where they had very little attention. I do understand some varieties of the plant "need" some tweaking but I have always found that to be attainable with chemical treatment... "If" I ever decide to grow them in pots I will use that and add inorganic matter. I know you understand KISS :p The only reason I would experiment and implement an inorganic inclusion in "pots" is because I am destined to water all by use of electronics. The less "zones" I create the easier the process.

Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Poink88,

I currently use 50% my deciduous bonsai mix / 50% Kanuma.

My regular bonsai mix is 1/4 turface, 1/4 pumice, 1/4 lava and 1/4 pine bark (I make a bark-less mix for plants needing less moisture).

If I cannot get kanuma, I would probably try the deciduous mix by itself. If that doesn't work well, I would probably try some perlite. I hope I do not need to try to figure it out.

Regards,
Martin

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have planted a few of mine in the oil spill stuff you can buy from auto parts stores with some pine bark added. So far they seem to be doing well.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For just growing out, I use turface, pumice, and pine bark 1:1:1. I would not recommend using lava for azaleas because the roots grow so densely that you can't get the lava out, and it will ruin your scissors when root pruning. In a pot, I use turface, coarse sand, and pine bark at about 3:2:1.

bruce m

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
i have been growing satsuki's for 25 years in amix of sifted pumice and pine bark 3parts bark to 2 parts pumice.i also throw in some sulfer to help keep the ph down.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dario,

for what it is worth, a friend has been growing Azaleas sourced from Louisiana from since 1983 in a simple mix of peatmoss and perlite.
A few years ago he had to separate the mother in three plants as the 3 x 3 foot pot was too small.

He also lifts the shrub every 4 to 5 years, just cuts off half the root zone and adds fresh mix.
Good Day.
Anthony

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For just growing out, I use turface, pumice, and pine bark 1:1:1. I would not recommend using lava for azaleas because the roots grow so densely that you can't get the lava out, and it will ruin your scissors when root pruning. In a pot, I use turface, coarse sand, and pine bark at about 3:2:1.

Sorry, I was in a hurry and forgot to specify. My azaleas are small, 12" max. In my pot mix, the reason I switch from pumice to sand is not just for looks, but because I also change to a smaller particle size. The sand keeps water from adhering too much to the smaller turface particles. Grow mix particles are about 5/32", pot mix 3/32".

Top Bottom