If my airlayer is pushing growth, is this a sign of developing roots?

BenHolland2991

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I air layered a small chunky berberis branch to become a future mame tree approximately 6/7 weeks ago. In the past week the air later has been pushing new growth with some new whips as long as 7/8cm.

Is this a sign of success/ root development?

Thanks

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I think it might be also sign of not enough separation on the branch from the tree... so cambium still connected there and tree managed to find the way to feed the branch...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The old roots still feed the top in this system, so growth only indicates you haven't cut too far, but doesn't eliminate the possibility of a cut too shallow, which may lead to that bridge.

Welcome to Crazy!

Berberberrrrgrrrrgrrrgrrr....

Sick a Dem pokers, though the pokey stalks certainly keep squirrels from digging up seeds!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi all,

I air layered a small chunky berberis branch to become a future mame tree approximately 6/7 weeks ago. In the past week the air later has been pushing new growth with some new whips as long as 7/8cm.

Is this a sign of success/ root development?

Thanks
Not necessarily. I usually take the abundance of new shoots forming below the air-layer as a sign that I have successfully separate the cambium and the tree is responding. As far as roots forming on the layer, I just take a peek after every few weeks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Same ⬆️⬆️ Gently unwrap part way and move the moss aside to check for roots. Just be aware that new roots are extremely brittle so take extra care.
If in doubt leave it another few weeks for more roots.

BenHolland2991

Seedling
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I usually take the abundance of new shoots forming below the air-layer as a sign that I have successfully separate the cambium and the tree is responding. As far as roots forming on the layer, I just take a peek after every few weeks.
Thats an interesting point. There is a few shoots popping below the layer but on the main trunk of the shrub, not directly below the layer which is a short thick side branch.
I will have a cautious look later today to check if anything is happening. Ill try to get a few pictures up also.

Cheers

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Remember the branch you are air layering is still connected to the donor plant, it will continue to grow. The best way to know when to separate the air layer is to check the available roots. There should be enough roots to support the section to be air layered off.

Top Bottom