If the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, where does the rain in Houston fall...?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok - I've lived here almost 20 years and I'm still astounded when the heavens open. I live close to downtown - we were lucky. Only 6" of rain last night - nowhere near our record of close to 11". Northwest of town rainfall totals for the last 24 hours have been up to 17". Still raining. Supposed to rain tomorrow too.

image.jpeg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I grew up in Houston...I don't remember the name of the storm, but in southeast Houston we got more than 2' of rain in less than 24 hours...early 80's. The next day with the streets still flooded, I put the canoe in at the base of my driveway and paddled more than a 5 mile loop never leaving the streets!!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wasn't living here in the 80's, but I lived here during a big one in terms of rainfall totals. Tropical Strom Allison hit here in 2001, dropped about a foot of rain before it moved north of town. Then it stopped, turned around, and hit again dropping about another foot.

Here are the rainfall totals for the storm.
image.jpeg

It rained heavy and continuously for about 4 days pushing them over a foot above flood stage. Much of Houston was underwater. Here's the highway by my house - I walked down there to look at it with my kids. They were 4 and 5 at the time and can still remember it.

image.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's a cool rainfall map for Harris County during Allison:

image.jpeg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I was gone from Houston by '01 but certainly had friends and family that went through that one!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep your head above water and dog paddle...

Seriously good luck. Having been through a few storms that have dropped feet of rain, I understand the anxiety.

During Hurricane Camille in 1969, I lived in Central Va. The storm brought a biblical, highly localized amount of rain. Two feet of rain in eight hours in parts of Nelson County. Entire sides of mountains turned to mud and fell into the Rockfish Valley.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...les-deadly-dlood-in-the-blue-ridge-mountains/
The event inspired some of Creedence Clearwater's "Who'll stop the rain?"

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I get rained on for 7 or 8 months here too. This year its early, today it poored. I actualy worried about my trees outside! Were not socked in for months yet, just enough to make it really humid.. I prefer wet season because its cooler and everything is so green. Its better for tree collecting too, they just dont do as well during dry season. Do you have the same problem in dry season? I only collect local trees that are native or naturalised and they are much happier during rainy season for repotting too or other root work.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi eferguson1974. Sometimes when it rains we get a break from the heat - other times it feels like the humidity just goes up!

We have a sort of a dormant period here - January and February. That's when I do most of my collecting. We don't really have a dry season. We average 3-6" a month, every month of the year. April is actually one of our driest months!

If you're worried about your trees though, I can make you a good deal on bonsai umbrellas! Maybe this is my million dollar idea. Now I can just sit back and watch all of the bonsai dollars roll in.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool idea. I live in a greenhouse kinda thing, so bringing them in isnt a problem. I sorta rotate stuff anyway. But today the downpoor was harder than normal for a couple mintutes. Where you live is more like growing up in Fl. like my younger years

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well - scattered showers today, but now the rivers are all cresting 10' or so above flood levels. More rain tomorrow and Thursday. Weather is amazing. Trees are loving it though, and I have a serious extended watering vacation.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
35" is more rain than we get all year. Can't even really imagine what it would be like to get that much in less than a week!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
35" is more rain than we get all year. Can't even really imagine what it would be like to get that much in less than a week!

They just evacuated my office due to flooding, but now I'm waiting for the parking garages to empty out. Gives me lots of time to think about bonsai!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, if you're underground in the garage, you may become a submarine...Get out quick!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is relentless and unending.....

image.jpeg

I'd say it's way better than 2011 - the drought year, but so many people have lost their homes. The Brazos is cresting tonight at 54' and a ton more rain on the way.

image.jpeg

Over 30" so far this year, but a lot of rain on the way. Might be 36" by the end of the week. Setting up to be a big year.

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Pity we can't send you some: here, all schools are closed because of floodings, the amount of rain in one day yesterday was equal to the usual amount for one month, some roads and motorways are closed and a lot of people hosted in gymnasiums...

Top Bottom