If You Are Serious About Bonsai

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
is this an invitation ? I'd love to visit Pensylvania. There are a couple of good koi dealers , the Martin guitar factory and ....of course BONSAI. Alas , my wife seems to absolutely love the left coast with its wine , ocean , wine , rugged scenery , and wine.

We are going on an Alaska cruse and I did manage to get an extra day in Seattle so I can meet Will ( Grouper ) and visit Bonsai NW.

The door is always open Dwight no matter what the purpose of the visit is. Your Alaska cruise is sounds nice....thank god the highlight will be Grouper and NW Bonsai ;).

BTW don't forget Paul Reed Smith Guitars :)

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree whole heartedly

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Attila, be honest did you really think you'd get something as simple as yes or no answer.:D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...so far

10 Yes
1 No

I am afraid that this looks like a blowout, no contest.
But make no mistake about it: that 1 NO is very important. Without that one NO, this thread would have been maybe 5 pages long, or less. So, we always need that one single person who wants to fight against the world.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The question is skewed. There are more than two choices in obtaining material but only one is being eliminated; Nursery material. This question cannot be honestly answered any other way than the way the many that have preceded this simple remark have responded. This question by itself almost falls into the category of Have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or No?

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
So it seems the question has become moot ( well almost )

Completely off the subject but has anyone noticed that this is post 254 ? Has any tree ever garnered this much attention ? How about some technique which might help beginners like me ?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The question is skewed. There are more than two choices in obtaining material but only one is being eliminated; Nursery material. This question cannot be honestly answered any other way than the way the many that have preceded this simple remark have responded. This question by itself almost falls into the category of Have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or No?

Since Vance doesn't fully agree with Peter's statement, this is a NO answer. Remember: If you don't fully agree with Peter's statement, your answer is NO.
The two people who answered NO, don't like the question. Remember: a question is not asked because you like it or not. You always have the choice to remain silent..
Peter Warren made a statement. We need to decide whether we agree with him or not.

Latest tally:

11 Yes
2 No

Last edited:

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no.................................yes....no..um.....yes.............argghhhhh!!!!!!

I disagree with the statement for two reasons.Western bonsai is NOT fixated on thin trunked garden junipers and garden center material is NOT useless.

andy

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes

What the f... message too short...? I tried to just put yes.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no.................................yes....no..um.....yes.............argghhhhh!!!!!!

I disagree with the statement for two reasons.Western bonsai is NOT fixated on thin trunked garden junipers and garden center material is NOT useless.

andy

I went back to read the statement again. Peter's statement does NOT say that Western bonsai is fixated on thin trunked garden junipers. Also, I hope that you saw the statement saying that the material is useless at the highest level. Not at medium or low level, not even at high level, but the highest level.
I just want to make sure that you didn't miss that he is very specific about the highest level.
Highest level means show quality trees. So, if you believe that plant nurseries are a good place to shop for show quality material, than NO is a good answer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom