If you could build any tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you could build any tree with no limitations what would you create?

If you could own any tree what would it be?

Are the two different for you?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I've been thinking for a few years about doing something like an 'Ebihara forest', with a plannned 24-36" flat nebari, possibly circular and viewable from all sides

musashi ga oka and koga from omiya are major inspirations

all maples, of course

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tastes def evolve over the years. But at the moment, Hinoki cypress, well executed shohin and a good raft really excite me. And I’d say I lean more towards a “feminine” trunk line.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd love to build my trees into the garden. No benches or monkey poles or stands, but a stone wall made to resemble the mountains, a little fountain that runs like a high mountain stream, the whole pile planted with wildflowers and succulents. I'd build little nooks and shelves into the "mountain sides" for my trees.

It's a little less about the perfect tree than it is the perfect view for me. One day I'll be too old to climb the mountains any more, so I'd like to have the next best thing by the time that happens.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you could build any tree with no limitations what would you create?
If you could own any tree what would it be?
Are the two different for you?
A rainbow eucalyptus - That is like a unicorn bonsai. I read about them a lot and when I earnestly searched for the proof of a well developed rainbow eucalyptus bonsai, I found none.
I don't know what species it would be or even what size it would be. However, I do know that it would be something I have a strong contribution to its creation.
They are likely to be different. My unicorn bonsai may be impossible to attain.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Create ? Red Maple ebihara technique.
If I could own , wow , tough question.. there are so many inspiring native conifers.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Build: it changes pretty often, but right now it's probably a tie between a really aged oak forest on a huge slab and a carved elm that looks like an ent. Ask me again next week and it'll probably be different.

Own: this one shimpaku I saw in a video that I think is in the Japanese collection that's probably 500 years old. That would need to come with a live-in artist to keep it in shape because I would be terrified to touch it.

Obviously those are different and I think it comes down to what I like to actually do. I've migrated almost entirely to deciduous because I have alot more fun in the growth and styling. But I still love the look of a really old juniper, I just can't get as excited about taking care of them. Or getting them to the point of looking really good.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have tried to ponder this out and I just can't honestly come up with the answers you are asking for. The whole idea is too limiting to me. As soon as I think I have it figured out, it changes. I do however enjoy the answers I see posted.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have tried to ponder this out and I just can't honestly come up with the answers you are asking for. The whole idea is too limiting to me. As soon as I think I have it figured out, it changes. I do however enjoy the answers I see posted.
Hence my answer wasn't about the trees. I could never narrow it down like that. I'm growing trees right now I had no interest in a year ago, and next year will likely find myself with trees I have no interest in now, and will likely lose interest in some of the trees I have now only to come back to them in a couple years.
Building the perfect garden, however, can always add to any trees' beauty.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hence my answer wasn't about the trees. I could never narrow it down like that. I'm growing trees right now I had no interest in a year ago, and next year will likely find myself with trees I have no interest in now, and will likely lose interest in some of the trees I have now only to come back to them in a couple years.
Building the perfect garden, however, can always add to any trees' beauty.
I could see that. I like your response.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
These responses have been fun to read. What I would build is constantly changing too which keeps things interesting. Right now I am pretty excited about the idea of training branches on Larch with the sole intention of creating some crazy jins with them in the future. I just hope I don't forget my initial idea at some point and cut these weird branches off before they have a chance to set in!

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm so new there are about 1,000 things I'd like to do. One thing I was thinking would be really cool would be a non-traditional forest planting of olive trees or something like that. Make them look like an old olive grove in Italy, I think that would be super cool.

As far as owning any tree... Not sure I'd want that responsibility just yet! I like learning and building slowly. I'd love to have any of Walter Pall's trees but that would be like giving a Ferrari to a child who has never driven before. It's probably going to end up in a ditch on the side of the road in flames!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I could build any tree without limitation, I would create a bonsai resembling “The Bristlecones” near White Mountain, California.

F6D5B60F-298B-47CD-832F-7FCF5F105996.jpeg

I would also love to own the iconic Rocky Mountain Juniper “Big Blue” from Mirai.

Fun thread!

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always think of a tiered waterfall that recirculates to the top, one I can put pots on each ledge.
I also give serious consideration to my dead bonsai club forest every time I see cement. No pot seems big enough.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd like to build an elm forest with lots of moss, as I grew up in Elmhurst IL and had giant trees in my yard as a kid.

Would love to own any tree that was Ben Oki's, only when I had knowledge to provide it with the care it needed.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
BUILD: I'd build a large, realistic mountain scene with running waterfalls and multiple trees. The mountain would have some pines and the lower area would have a deciduous forest. There would be moss and accent plants along the way. I'd need a fulltime staff to maintain it though.

It would look something like this but different.
Nature%E2%80%99s-Strange-Brigade-e1555169702651.jpg

Saikei-desired-landscape-design.jpg

OWN: Right now... anything considered a decent bonsai. I have nothing in that category... yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom