Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Second one

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Second for sure. It’s big but it already looks like something special, I think.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
interesting everyone thank you for the responses. I like them all but my choice would be #3 as well as @Maloghurst @Hartinez and @Dav4

# 3 has the biggest base at around 10'' and has a trailing root that really widens the base for good taper hard to see in photo. I think I may just collect this one. I like #2 but less going on with the main trunk.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It all depends on the surface roots and the base of the trunk. Take some more photos showing where the trunks meet the soil, and see if you can reveal the surface roots. Without knowing this, the upper trunk is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d kill to collect any of those, amazing material. Good, gnarly thuya are hard to find here.

I think 2 and 3 seem like the less complicated projects, bonsai-wise, in my rookie opinion.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
interesting that no one picked 4. I like the tree in person but I am afraid it is already too close to death in the field and would not survive collection. It is a bit hard to play this game though without seeing in person.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
interesting that no one picked 4. I like the tree in person but I am afraid it is already too close to death in the field and would not survive collection. It is a bit hard to play this game though without seeing in person.
That's actually what I got from your picture... great deadwood trunk but appears very unhealthy.

Top Bottom