If you could collect just one of these?

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
My top pick would be 3, then 2, 1, and 4 looks like it has very little to work with and not as healthy as the others.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Third one down looks to have a solid base with growth down low... that’s my choice.

I second this. It’s hard to tell but the second one doesn’t seem to have much interest down low.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like #2 best, but I am a sucker for leaning trees.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best choice. Looks even better out of grass;). Father in law looks like Bonsai guy:cool:. Hope it does great.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Matt, you need to make this tree a long running post as you bring out the best of it over the years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I should update this thread with the unfortunately reality of collecting. I think this will be worthwile for others so I will post about why I think this tree died after collection. The one that died is the one from this thread not the one pictured below. I just put that here to help me feel better about life...haha.

When I collected this tree I had high hopes as I always do when I collect something. I have heard others describe the muck that comes with a tree out of a bog as "black death" well truer words have never been spoken. The other reason I believed this died is the tree had very little foliage before collection, a tree needs foliage to regenerate roots and this one did not have enough.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get the black death out when collecting Thuja from bogs. These are not pines and do not need the field soil to come with. Now when I collect any cedar I submerge the entire root ball in water for 1 day and then thouroughly hose the roots out to get the black stuff OUT! Also, I skip trees that have too little foliage. Be careful not to prune too much foliage off of a collected Thuja at collection or during recovery. I have seen trees with a ton of foliage and very very little roots collected totally fill up the collection box with roots in less than one whole growing season.

I have collected two others from this same bog and both are happy now but I washed the roots well. Thankfully this tree was not my personal favorite that I collected this year (see below for that) but it was definietly one I planned to keep for decades.

Anyway, some hard won learning lessons I thought maybe others could benefit from....DSC_8608.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom