If you could only have three books.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"I find myself more and more building a reference library from great articles posted from learned enthusiasts,"

Bravo Rick, I agree on this point, and have been cutting and pasting into WORD for some time now. I have a nice little library built up on my pc.

I have Nick's book, it is a definate for the libraryin my opine, don't be fooled that this book pertains to just the NE it has info (very good info) on many species that are available in much of the US. The care and collecting info is second to none. Yes I know Nick and we see him a couple time a year for workshops, time very well spent.

I don't have a bunch of books, but I also agree with what rockm said about the ABS magazine, hunt one down that has an article on something you are working on and you have some great info. Bill Valvanis' International Bonsai are very good too.

Bonsai magazines in general, I get Bonsai Focus and have enjoyed that for the last year, and have renewed, but my point is to spend time looking at galleries of good trees, these paint pictures for the mind to absorb and use as guidelines for your styling efforts.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
"I find myself more and more building a reference library from great articles posted from learned enthusiasts,"

Bravo Rick, I agree on this point, and have been cutting and pasting into WORD for some time now. I have a nice little library built up on my pc.

I have Nick's book, it is a definate for the libraryin my opine, don't be fooled that this book pertains to just the NE it has info (very good info) on many species that are available in much of the US. The care and collecting info is second to none. Yes I know Nick and we see him a couple time a year for workshops, time very well spent.

I don't have a bunch of books, but I also agree with what rockm said about the ABS magazine, hunt one down that has an article on something you are working on and you have some great info. Bill Valvanis' International Bonsai are very good too.

Bonsai magazines in general, I get Bonsai Focus and have enjoyed that for the last year, and have renewed, but my point is to spend time looking at galleries of good trees, these paint pictures for the mind to absorb and use as guidelines for your styling efforts.

... answered in other thread.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
and answered well, I might add. My main point re your post was re the on line contributions thru post such as this one, valuable if it pertains to what you are doing, same pages there.

WRT to Nicks book it is to reiterate the usefullness in areas other than the NE, understanding for you larch is probably the only thing you might be interested in, but for some looking for info on collecting, and to a degree the care info by species, there is a lot going for it.

I don't have Stevens book yet, but from what I have seen of it, I may own it sooner than later.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bill I hear you wrt Nick's book. I don't say I will never own it, just not in the immediate future. It is not because it's Nick's book, it is because it is a book ;)

It is not easy to explain and another anecdote here might clarify matters somewhat.

The missus and I belong to the same Cable Company. She is on channel 14 and I on channel 16, and we come together on channel 15 (get your mind out of the gutter;) )

A traveled the world but can't say the same for the missus. We purchased a house and it was dated, mid 70s. We brought it into the millennium. We have redone it with a Mediterranean flair. Now that is not something easily explained to someone who as never been to the "Med". However we have succeeded with remarkable success so we are told by our neighbours.

Now stores have a hoot with us when we are shopping and at times they are unsure if they should even approach us LOL. When we are shopping for accoutrements we have a pretty good idea what we want (vision), but on 2 different channels. When we see what we are looking for (channel 15) we both know it, and it is purchased. When asking each other about this or that, we always give an honest reply, if it is no (more often than not) we say no (instincts) but we also say why. Same thing happens to me with bonsai. The tree either moves me or it doesn't. When staff asked if they can help us, the usual reply is no, as we don't know (they are not in our heads). We try explaining etc... and they become more confused. We thank them for their assistance and will call on them when we need help. Sometimes we don't find what we are looking for and leave. Many times the staff (wanting to make a sale) will challenge us, we state we didn't find anything that would be suitable for X.

As you know we have recently returned from our honeymoon. In one of the ports we finally found some paintings that would suit the renovated bathroom (1.5 years later). We needed 2 and had 6 finalist. At one point during the decision making process, we felt pressured by the artist and we told her to relax, let us think, we are leaving with 2, we just don't know which 2 yet. We did leave we 2.

So I hope you can understand that what I am looking for is not always apparent but when I find it, I buy it. The house renovation is going on 5 years (no it wasn't a mess for 5 years) but purchases are chosen wisely and second best or this will do is simply not good enough. We will not buy an alternate just to buy the right one later when we finally find what we are looking for. Another case in point is our leather couch, 2 1/2 yrs later we have the couch we wanted. We must have tried over 300 in those 2.5 years, they were unsuitable. You might call this fussy, we call it spending wisely. I am not going to discuss price with you here, the couch is worth every penny and you know you are sitting in quality. A leather couch should be a lifetime purchase and this couch will outlast both of us, not to mention that it fits the decor to a T. They had a ball with us choosing our coffee tables, a Mediterranean fell with a leather couch and a Japanese bonsai display (in the same room). Nonetheless, all flows well. Now maybe you have a better understanding of where we are coming from when I /we shop. The entire house flows from one room to the next, not an easy thing to accomplish. But with patience as in bonsai, extremely doable with positively stunning results, If I say so myself ;)

I now hope you have a better perspective of where I am coming from.

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
1. Almost 3 years.

a. All of the Kyosuke Gun Mini Bonsai books. (recommended to me by Al. These books are the manual on Shohin. Just not in English yet, but you can learn from the pictures. They are for many different species)
b. Bonsai with Japanese Maples, by Peter Adams. (I really like maples)
c. Vision of my Soul, Stevens.

On a similar note here is a link to Kyosuke's site's gallery. Many of these trees are in the above mentioned books.
http://www.mini-bonsai.com/hyousie/

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
1. Over 15 years

A: ANY Kokufu book you can get your hands on
B: Peter Chan's Bonsai Masterclass
C: Colin Lewis' Step-by-Step Guide to Bonsai

Eventually, you'll only need A...

Paul H.

Seedling
Reaction score
years in bonsai 9 .
1. bonsai techniques 1
2.BONSAI TECHNIQUES 2
3.VISION OF MY SOUL

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
20+ years
Bonsai Techniques II
Amy Liang's Book
All the Taiwan Masters Exhibition Albums bound together as one volume

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hung out with Al last week and had the pleasure of helping/learning by re-potting his very nice and very large myrtle. I also asked him about the fav 3 books post. I teased/asked him about this thread and he said he hasn't replied to this thread cause he can't pick just three books and that he is also a more into magazines than books. And I think, more into trees and shows than books or mags:)

While I was there he let me borrow a book that I really have been enjoying for a week and a half now. It was also mentioned recently in Al's post. Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker. This is a great little book when it comes to teaching you the "art" side of things. I also noticed it is Vol 1. When does Vol 2 come out?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hung out with Al last week and had the pleasure of helping/learning by re-potting his very nice and very large myrtle. I also asked him about the fav 3 books post. I teased/asked him about this thread and he said he hasn't replied to this thread cause he can't pick just three books and that he is also a more into magazines than books. And I think, more into trees and shows than books or mags:)

While I was there he let me borrow a book that I really have been enjoying for a week and a half now. It was also mentioned recently in Al's post. Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker. This is a great little book when it comes to teaching you the "art" side of things. I also noticed it is Vol 1. When does Vol 2 come out?

This is by far the most important post in this entire thread. I have to give Brett the Big Kahuuna Bonsai Underground lapel pin for "getting" where I stand. If you ain't going to at least 10 high level bonsai exhibitions a year you will never "see" bonsai and how it is really done. One high quality exhibit will give a person so much insight on how and why bonsai are constructed. One exhibit is by far equal to ten books and five years worth of magazines put together.

WooHoo! I have Boons in Jan. BABA in Jan. Shohin in Feb. and Kazari in April. Four of the best exhibits in the USA in the next four months. Talk about education!:D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"If you ain't going to at least 10 high level bonsai exhibitions a year you will never "see" bonsai and how it is really done. One high quality exhibit will give a person so much insight on how and why bonsai are constructed. One exhibit is by far equal to ten books and five years worth of magazines put together."

Huh? :D While I agree you have to see trees in person to really "get" bonsai, TEN "high level" bonsai exhibitions a year? What country you livin' in Dude? :D Does "High level" means club shows? If that's the case, most of us out here (East of California) are looking mostly at each other's trees--some good, some mediocre...

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Huh? :D While I agree you have to see trees in person to really "get" bonsai, TEN "high level" bonsai exhibitions a year? What country you livin' in Dude? :D Does "High level" means club shows? If that's the case, most of us out here (East of California) are looking mostly at each other's trees--some good, some mediocre...

California, they are allowed to grow their own Marijuana there (for medicinal purposes)

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We are blessed on the West Coast for sure. I was able to see 4 shows last year and didn't have to pay for a single hotel room due to it.

I am so bummed to miss Boons due to work obligations. Al can you please take a ton of photos? It would be great to see him and his students in action.

Last edited:

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, When is BIB exhibit? Boon's site still has last years date. I would love to go since I have to miss the shohin convention.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"If you ain't going to at least 10 high level bonsai exhibitions a year you will never "see" bonsai and how it is really done. One high quality exhibit will give a person so much insight on how and why bonsai are constructed. One exhibit is by far equal to ten books and five years worth of magazines put together."

Thats why the highest awards at the national exhibit last year went mostly to west coast trees.

I have never been to Japan to see Kokufu. I probably never will. Yaseo Mitsuya, Boons teacher, Kathy Shaner's teacher and many others has said that Boons exhibit is closet thing to being in Japan there is in the USA.

I concur fully. This year will be even bigger.

I listed the exhibits that have a name attached to them that most people nation wide would know, Like Boons. I could list the rest but they would mean nothing to most of the internet population since you have never heard of them, but they are good.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are blessed on the West Coast for sure. I was able to see 4 shows last year and didn't have to pay for a single hotel room due to it.

I am so bummed to miss Boons due to work obligations. Al can you please take a ton of photos? It would be great to see him and his students in action.

I will do my best. Boon sells an exhibit book each year from the previous year. Boon has a photo policy about shooting pics of the show. He would like to limit it to your five favorite trees as a common practise. Each year I speak to Boon about it and he has given me much more latitude as I respect his work as well as police my own photo's. I usually wait a respectable amount of time to post any to give Boon first shot. He usually, or one of his friends will post some at IBC. I feel this is respectfull of his wishes as he doesn't want them whored all over the net.

As the months go by I introduce a handfull at a time so as to not just paste them all over.

Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Another good place to see some of the finest-quality bonsai from throughout the United States is the upcoming 2nd US National Bonsai Exhibition. It will be held on June 12-13, 2010 in Rochester, New York.

At the 1st US National Bonsai Exhibition we had 192 masterworks of bonsai representing 23 states. Over $10,000 cash was awarded to the prize winning bonsai.

This year the enlarged US National Bonsai Exhibition will again have beautiful bonsai. The admission fee includes two free demonstrations by Kunio Kobayashi and Marco Invernizzi.

If you have a quality bonsai you would like to share with the bonsai community please submit a photo for the selection process. Additional information can be located at:

http://web.mac.com/williamnvalavanis/NATIONAL_BONSAI_EXHIBITION/NATIONAL_EXHIBITION.html

Questions? contact me:
Wm. N. Valavanis
WNV@internationalbonsai.com

Below are a few photos from the 21st US National Bonsai Exhibition

Attachments

• NATIONAL-1.jpg
    NATIONAL-1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 56
  • NATIONAL-2.jpg
    NATIONAL-2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 72
  • NATIONAL-3.jpg
    NATIONAL-3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 59
  • NATIONAL-4.jpg
    NATIONAL-4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 56
  • NATIONAL-5.jpg
    NATIONAL-5.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 57

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Bill,
I noticed that the second picture (which has the lady in red) has an interesting display (perhaps unusual = untraditional!?), as it appears the onwer has used blocks/planks of wood. Do you have a picture showing this tree/display from the front?
Cheers Graham

Top Bottom