If you could only have three books.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The bonsai you are referring to is a Robusta Green Juniper displayed by Ron Lang, Reedsville, PA. He is a prominent American ceramic and bonsai artist who also made the ceramic "container".

This distinctive display received the 2nd Ho Yoku Award for the Fineset Western Formal Display in the 1st US National Bonsai Exhibition. In addition to the traditional displays Colin Lewis (Ho Yoku Bonsai) sponsored an award for the Finest Western Formal Display. People were very interested in this innovative new approach for appreciating bonsai.

Enjoy the beauty and we welcome you to the 2nd US National Bonsai Exhibition on June 12-13, 2010 in Rochester, New York. If anyone has a fine-quality bonsai they are proud of and would like to share its beauty with the world and also have it included in the Commemorative Bonsai Album, send me a photo for the selection process.

Bill

Attachments

• ROBUSTA-GREEN-JUNIPER.jpg
    ROBUSTA-GREEN-JUNIPER.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 69

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill,

Thanks for the photos. Shows the East Coast has some excellent trees (sounds like the rap wars...Who is the bonsai Biggie Smalls?) The exhibit looks like it was pretty spectacular. WIsh I could get up there in June.

Ron Lang has been doing some interesting things with bonsai and bonsai containers for some time. Some of it works extremely well. Some of it not-so-much...

http://www.langbonsai.com/

See "experimental forms."

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The East coast, West coast and also middle America all have fine-quality bonsai. One is not necessarily "better" than the other. This is ONE very large country.

Rather than start a "war" or competition to see where the best bonsai are located, I believe we should just appreciate the beauty of bonsai. That's the reason for the US National Bonsai Exhibitions.

We made history last time to see bonsai from California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Florida, Massachusetts and Ohio (23 states in total) all displayed NEXT to each other. Each specimen was beautiful and reflected the diverse native plant material trained for bonsai in the United States. It was simply breathtaking and we can do it again in June.

Bill

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill,

I was joking about the rap stuff :D.

The idea of a North American convention that brings the bonsai from all over the continent together is mind boggling because of the logistics needed to pull it off on the exhibitors side, as well as the exhibitions'. How did all those trees make it up there and how did the owners protect them from harm during their journeys?

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
On the subject of Boon, he posted some pics on Facebook very recently. I wonder if any of these will be at his showing? Not sure if this link will work for everyone, but here goes.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=boon&init=quick#/photos.php?id=1381837836

If not, look him up, he's not hard to find.

Walter had some new pics too!

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A. About nine years, although the first two or so were spent killing trees by myself
1. Bonsai From The Wild by Nick Lenz If I had to choose only one this would be it
2. The Art Of Bonsai Design by Colin Lewis
3. Bonsai Technics I by John Naka

Because my club has a wonderful library I don't own a ton of books, but after reading some of the posts here and seeing his work in person and magazines, I think Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker will be my next purchase and will pass on Robert new book and wait for my club to purchase it.
I started late, so try to get as much information I can get my hands on, not just books and magazines. One of the fondest Bonsai learning experiences (besides doing workshops with Nick) was watching Suthin Sukosolvisit do a critique on some displayed trees. It was amazing, and really opened my eyes to that form of teaching about the craft, and I try to partake in them as much as possible.

___

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the fondest Bonsai learning experiences (besides doing workshops with Nick) was watching Suthin Sukosolvisit do a critique on some displayed trees. It was amazing, and really opened my eyes to that form of teaching about the craft, and I try to partake in them as much as possible.
___

This is the best way to learn.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
3 books

1.Forensic Pathology,Di Maio

2.Kokofu book No 63

3.NOBU, the cookbook

In that sequence..

-dorothy

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the best way to learn.

I agree.
I was with Michael Hagedorn when he did a critique of the displays at a show I went to and it was very good. Admittedly, that is part of Bonsai I'm not as knowledgeable about as I would like and I learned quite a bit, and was very happy to get the opportunity to learn from his experience.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just found this thread while searching for something. I thought it is worthy to bump up (resurrect?) for others to see. I think it is very helpful and I wish I've seen it before buying my books. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I probably have several hundred books in my library not counting magazines. If I had to pick one to learn on. it would be david de Groot's basic book of bonsai design. Inexpensive yet filled with great information. He's working on an update right now but his initial offering is well worth getting now.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
but his initial offering is well worth getting now.

Assuming you can find it. ABS no longer has it. I've never seen it used.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I probably have several hundred books in my library not counting magazines. If I had to pick one to learn on. it would be david de Groot's basic book of bonsai design. Inexpensive yet filled with great information. He's working on an update right now but his initial offering is well worth getting now.
Thanks. I just bought one through Amazon (seconds ago).

See response above. There are several there but very expensive (I just bought the cheapest) :D.

Reaction score

ABS has reprinted it due to popular demand. You can buy it from their website. I highly recommend it to my students when we discuss design. Also, Francois Jeker's book 'Bonsai Aesthetics' is also a good basic bonsai design book.
John

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
18 years, 7 years seriously
1. the naka books- keep in mind some of the info in it is a little out-dated.
2. bonsai inspirations by Harry Harrington.-I think it's the bible on broadleaf developement (bonsai4me.com)
3. bonsai aesthetics by Francois Jeker.- I dare you to read this book and tell me you did not learn a few things on art techniques for Bonsai (stonelantern.com)
4. (i know, only 3, but if you always stay within the rules, you only limit yourself). debera Korshoff's book (i 4got the title, it's in this thread)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ABS has reprinted it due to popular demand. You can buy it from their website. I highly recommend it to my students when we discuss design. Also, Francois Jeker's book 'Bonsai Aesthetics' is also a good basic bonsai design book.
John

Thanks John! Cancelled my Amazon order, ABS is much cheaper!

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Interesting thread. Oddly enough yesterday and early today I was pouring over Jim Lewis's threads on IBC. Most of you probably know of these two threads and are very familiar with them. I had not seen them previously and really liked them--even printed out the listing of books to compare with what I already have when I get home tonight.

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9869-mini-book-reviews-i-beginner-s-books

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t...ediate-advanced-mini-bonsai-indoor-bonsai-etc

I know jkl is on this forum and I hope I am not out of line in giving the links to these threads. I thought they were excellent.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the best little books that I can think of:

Bonsai Styles of the World
by Charles Ceronio (South Africa)

It's a little treasure, and it looks like you can't find it at Amazon anymore. And neither has Stone Lantern or E-bay.

So, don't bother looking for it.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I could only have three books it would have to be
1. Catholic Bible
2. Catechism of the Catholic Church
3. Diary, Divine Mercy in my soul.

Bonsai books I would pick up at the library every now and then.

ed

Top Bottom