If you ever wondered

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
about what a good painting is for a bonsai display....This would be it for Autumn or early Winter display. Notice how there is nothing very strong in this Haboku painting style, but very relaxing and serene. Would make the bonsai be the focal piece and help to accent or tell the story.
Sanso 13 Unkei Eii Final.jpg
Sanso 13 Unkei Eii Misty Mountains Closeup.jpg

This was a scroll I just completed that is a print of the original by Unkei Eii titled Misty Mountains. Copying, distributing or disseminating these photos is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of the art collection owner.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you consider it offensive to remove the poster behind the scroll itself, so that it's just the scroll hanging there with the wall as a background?
I like the minimalistic art work, but usually there's a giant piece of paper behind it that distorts that feeling for me. Here too, I feel as if the red tape is poking my eye. It's a very strong contrast.
That's why I guess that it was chosen for a reason.

Maybe it's an acquired taste thing. I don't know. I don't know anything about scrolls, but I would like to know more! Would you care to give me some pointers to or some ready-made additional information?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Do you consider it offensive to remove the poster behind the scroll itself, so that it's just the scroll hanging there with the wall as a background?
I like the minimalistic art work, but usually there's a giant piece of paper behind it that distorts that feeling for me. Here too, I feel as if the red tape is poking my eye. It's a very strong contrast.
That's why I guess that it was chosen for a reason.

Maybe it's an acquired taste thing. I don't know. I don't know anything about scrolls, but I would like to know more! Would you care to give me some pointers to or some ready-made additional information?

I am having a difficult time understanding your question...Are you saying you want to see a Dai Hari style scroll?
Because it sounds like you want to see an intermediate paper that could be called Chuumawashi between the artwork and Ten/Chi cloth.
The customer selected the cloths and the Yamato Hyougu style for this one to reflect the original in the families art collection.
Did you know that Yamato is the old word for Japan...So this is the most Japanese style of mounting you could see, and is typically reserved for landscape painting.
Red Tape? I see no red tape in the picture.
Feel free to read my blog if you want to learn something about scrolls. It is linked in my signature line. This is about as free as it gets.
But did you know that scroll making has a written history from 600 A.D., and the Toko no Ma was developed exclusively to house
the scroll as the main piece for decoration.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for learning me some new things!
What I meant to ask is, are there any scrolls with just the painting itself and without cloths behind it? Or is that an uncommon practice?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for learning me some new things!
What I meant to ask is, are there any scrolls with just the painting itself and without cloths behind it? Or is that an uncommon practice?

I guess the best term for that would be unmounted or unframed artwork. Kind of like a bonsai without a pot.:confused:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
about what a good painting is for a bonsai display....This would be it for Autumn or early Winter display. Notice how there is nothing very strong in this Haboku painting style, but very relaxing and serene. Would make the bonsai be the focal piece and help to accent or tell the story.

IMO, Sansuiga (landscapes) is not a very good scroll for a display with bonsai. I much prefer a single element of the scroll art to be on my scroll. In this case, the mountain, the birds or the clouds. The trees would be redundant. Actually while maybe being relaxing and serene, there is an awful lot of stuff going on in that scene for bonsai display. I look at this from a Kei Do POV

Just a question, you have shown some nice scrolls and scenes over the years. What do you use for photography? Your pictures are lousy and blurred, at angles, not straight and off center. Whats the deal?

I'm glad you posted the disclaimer at the end, I was hoping to get rich posting this all over the net!!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My rule of thumb.
Birds flying to the chop, Fall/ Winter
Birds flying away from the chop, Spring/Summer

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
IMO, Sansuiga (landscapes) is not a very good scroll for a display with bonsai. I much prefer a single element of the scroll art to be on my scroll. In this case, the mountain, the birds or the clouds. The trees would be redundant. Actually while maybe being relaxing and serene, there is an awful lot of stuff going on in that scene for bonsai display. I look at this from a Kei Do POV

Just a question, you have shown some nice scrolls and scenes over the years. What do you use for photography? Your pictures are lousy and blurred, at angles, not straight and off center. Whats the deal?

I'm glad you posted the disclaimer at the end, I was hoping to get rich posting this all over the net!!!

So placing a black pine on a cliff near the coast is not an appropriate motif? TBH, I don't really care about studying a defunct organization system, that evolved into a more current system. 形道 has it's disciples in the US, particularly CA, because that is the system that the Ragles, and Kathy Shaner studied in the past.

As for the chop deal....definitely a Keidou idea....But look at the picture in detail. Does it evoke the warming of spring? Do you feel renewed growth of the grasses? From my personal experience in Cache Valley where I grew up, most mist or fog (not clouds) occurs in the colder times leading up to winter. So if you want to use it as a Spring scroll, I am sure you could place it in there and maybe get the desired feeling. As for the importance of chop placement, Gaddou practitioners break it about 40% of the time. From the words of my mentor in display....If everything works to express the desired display idea, tree, tree style, scroll image, and surrounding accents, why would you disqualify the scroll for the small chop (signature) that may be in the wrong location?

As for the question regarding my pics, I spend 8 hours labor or more to finish a scroll. The picture is quickly done as a service to the customer, and in this case, the customer actually requests me to put this disclaimer. You see, the family sold their art collection to the owner of a famous Japanese bakery brand after their parents died. This particular daughter loved her Father's Japanese art collection so much, she made prints for her to hang at various times for personal use. This is #13 of I don't know about 150. Since these pieces are often exhibited in museums, taking crappy pictures does not devalue the current owner's holdings or the museums in which they reside.

And personally, I would prefer to spend the limited time resource I have on production of the scroll, than post production marketing.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So placing a black pine on a cliff near the coast is not an appropriate motif?

It definitely would if the picture depicted just that. If it also includes weather, birds, trees, animals or people, then ....no. Thats the hard part of finding the correct scroll to convey the single imagery, and part of the fun.

As for the chop deal....definitely a Keidou idea....But look at the picture in detail. Does it evoke the warming of spring? Do you feel renewed growth of the grasses? From my personal experience in Cache Valley where I grew up, most mist or fog (not clouds) occurs in the colder times leading up to winter. So if you want to use it as a Spring scroll, I am sure you could place it in there and maybe get the desired feeling. As for the importance of chop placement, Gaddou practitioners break it about 40% of the time. From the words of my mentor in display....If everything works to express the desired display idea, tree, tree style, scroll image, and surrounding accents, why would you disqualify the scroll for the small chop (signature) that may be in the wrong location?

I agree, I find that for us Westerners that the rules seem to be more guide lines. I don't feel that way, but a lot of judges sure do.

As for the question regarding my pics, I spend 8 hours labor or more to finish a scroll. The picture is quickly done as a service to the customer, and in this case, the customer actually requests me to put this disclaimer. You see, the family sold their art collection to the owner of a famous Japanese bakery brand after their parents died. This particular daughter loved her Father's Japanese art collection so much, she made prints for her to hang at various times for personal use. This is #13 of I don't know about 150. Since these pieces are often exhibited in museums, taking crappy pictures does not devalue the current owner's holdings or the museums in which they reside.

And personally, I would prefer to spend the limited time resource I have on production of the scroll, than post production marketing.

I'm sorry, but this isn't about devaluing the museums value, or taking away your precious time from production. This is more about professional work and having enough respect for the forum to offer us a nice photo cropped and in focus. I know from my point of view save the lazy pictures for your customers but I've earned more respect than this on a forum. Make the effort, it tells so much about the poster.

Why would you come here and not make every effort to showcase your work with the best possible photo?

DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom