If you had 100 two yrs old ponderosas, what experiment would you do?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is entirely fault of beholder, not tree.
Yes, it is my opinion, as the question was, "what would you do". While I whole heartedly support the idea that bonsai techniques can be applied to just about any species of woody plant, I also am discerning enough to recognize some species have a better likely hood of yielding attractive results in a given time period than others. My time is valuable, if a tree has little potential to be an attractive bonsai in less than 20 years, I choose to spend time on other material. Yes, Ponderosa seedlings started today may be wonderful bonsai a century from now, however, at twenty years, they will be generic looking, smooth trunk pines, with long needles and sparse branching.

Trees I started from seed all have a feature that will make them attractive in 20 years or less. For example, Diospyros, persimmon, I've started several batches of seed, and they will have attractive fruit in less than 10 years, and D virginiana will have rough bark by 20 years.

So that is how I choose to invest time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thank you for your opinions. They are all very valuable.

To Leo - you make excellent points about the species "generic looking, smooth trunk pines, with long needles and sparse branching. " These reasons are why I only have one full tree as well.

Then again, with your comment, I can make one study on bark maturing alone. Obviously one study will be needle management. I see many trees where I work with super short needles that Deer or squirrels have nipped the apical meristem.

Once again, thank you everyone.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it is my opinion, as the question was, "what would you do". While I whole heartedly support the idea that bonsai techniques can be applied to just about any species of woody plant, I also am discerning enough to recognize some species have a better likely hood of yielding attractive results in a given time period than others. My time is valuable, if a tree has little potential to be an attractive bonsai in less than 20 years, I choose to spend time on other material. Yes, Ponderosa seedlings started today may be wonderful bonsai a century from now, however, at twenty years, they will be generic looking, smooth trunk pines, with long needles and sparse branching.

Trees I started from seed all have a feature that will make them attractive in 20 years or less. For example, Diospyros, persimmon, I've started several batches of seed, and they will have attractive fruit in less than 10 years, and D virginiana will have rough bark by 20 years.

So that is how I choose to invest time.

Sadly recently dead 22 year Ponderosa collected at about 3rd year(by self)from mountains died with rough bark of at least 5 years, decent branching, trunk movement with only pruning/no wiring. Could have had much more movement if had wired and pruned even more. You fight losing battle to become diminishing voice in chorus preferring easy trees and Japanese esthetic. One so "discerning" sounds pretty egotistic/elitist. In case unaware Andy, Alvaro, Randy, Steve, Dan and others collect Ponderosa which are now in hands of ever increasing number of American Bonsai hobbyists. They are favorites of Ryan Neil from whom was gained my GREAT respect and love for them;). At Pac NW Bonsai convention past October was talking to another Portland area collector/professional who expressed he would rather have a Ponderosa over JBP any day. This one completely agrees and grows more sick of JBP this and JBP that and how so many new hobbyists just are so thrilled to get one. GAG! Like weeds constant management and hurry hurry to see how FAST can develop Bonsai from particular weed in possession. Once "developed" constant management of weed continues. No patience, humility nor appreciation for what growth one has from more normal trees. Four of these weeds I have and grow more and more disenchanted with these with passsage of time. Enjoyment comes from journey as the perfection is never reached:confused:. Why hurry to mirai? The unobtainable future.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmm.... what to do with 100 2 yr old ponderosa seedlings??
Hey, I've got an idea!! Sell them to Pottie for 50 cents each, take the $50 and by a bunch of Japanese Black pine and Red pine seeds, stratify in your fridge for 3 weeks, then plant...there's still plenty of time to do this this year. I can guarantee you will have MUCH more fun working with these two species over the Pondies, and you will have MUCH better results in just 5-10 years. If you decide to keep the pondies, plant them out after twisting them up... they might be something your great grand children might enjoy assuming they're into bonsai. The bottom line is to have fun regardless of where you choose to spend your time.... I know where I'd spend mine.
IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2306.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Potawatomi13
You clearly read your own bias into my post. I have 2 yamadori Ponderosa and I love them. I did not "sing the praises" of JBP, simply included them in a list, which if you had bothered to read, the list contained more North American native pines than non native pines.

That's all, do what you want.

Top Bottom