If you had $600 and wanted to buy

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A nice Japanese Maple where would you be looking?

D

Deleted member 21616

@namnhi Bill doesn't have very many developed trees for sale. Bill has masterpieces, and cuttings.

@VAFisher you are not far from Jim Doyle. Depending on your taste, he has a number of field-grown trident maples from Randy Knight in that price range.

If you find a place that is selling japanese maples worth $600 please let me know, i would drop everything i'm doing and start driving there now. The lack of availability in north america of well-started japanese maple bonsai is a huge obstacle for us! I complain about it all the time, and I plan to contribute to improving the situation, and hope that others will join me. But even nurseries that should be starting a few thousand maples now (Mirai...) for the future generation, are not doing it! I'm hoping that Andrew Robson does it! (It is a difficult challenge to take on, because you don't see any income from sales for the first 25-30 years... it has to be a side-gig)

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@namnhi Bill doesn't have very many developed trees for sale. Bill has masterpieces, and cuttings.

@VAFisher you are not far from Jim Doyle. Depending on your taste, he has a number of field-grown trident maples from Randy Knight in that price range.

If you find a place that is selling japanese maples worth $600 please let me know, i would drop everything i'm doing and start driving there now. The lack of availability in north america of well-started japanese maple bonsai is a huge obstacle for us! I complain about it all the time, and I plan to contribute to improving the situation, and hope that others will join me. But even nurseries that should be starting a few thousand maples now (Mirai...) for the future generation, are not doing it! I'm hoping that Andrew Robson does it! (It is a difficult challenge to take on, because you don't see any income from sales for the first 25-30 years... it has to be a side-gig)

Thanks. Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I've got a couple decent tridents in the collection already so not looking to add any more of those. I haven't been to see Julian Adams for a while and I might check with him. He had a lot of tridents but not many JMs the last time I was there. I'll just keep an eye on the FB auctions I suppose.

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I’m going to Jim Doyle’s place soon. I hope to find something in this mythical range.

D

Deleted member 21616

mythical range

not sure what you mean by mythical. I spoke to Jim, he quoted for me a range of $50-500 for the Randy Knight trees, depending on the tree. If massive tridents are your thing, there are some beauties available

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s tricky to find much in the $500-$1500 range for some reason. This one has some great age, but I’d ask for more shots of the base before I bought it.
E6E6AA55-FE4E-4928-A63B-F5F48FF5479E.jpeg

Telperion has a couple:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone have thoughts on the Sharps Pygmies in this price range being offered by Brussels? Overpriced?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had an awesome clump-style JM down there for near $2000 w/tax on consignment that I thought about. If I had cash on me,( outside the 600-700 for re-potting tackle), I would have. Thankfully, I don't carry plastic! I could swing it but there is near 20+ JM in the garden!!! And I like to take a nice vacation, for crying out loud!!! 😂 😂😂

If you called and asked for a little bit more info about stock on hand, I bet you could score something a lot cheaper. Maybe a little bit more project-y, but a lot less expensive.

Not sure if I would buy this one pictured. Taper issues might make 2/3 of the tree un-usable. Club-level type tree.....:cool:

......I am on stay-cation for a week, might have to get down to Bellingham......

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Out of these 2 trees, which would you choose if price was similar? Tree 1 is listed at 35" tall.

1561844135232.png

1555621855_ACER9APRIL20196.01.png

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
…..ouch, tough choice for me....'specially with a belly full of vacation rum!!!!
kirk.gif

love a JM with swag when it comes to the bark, and pretty dang delicate for an Arakawa....

...…..#2 is a longer ways out from #1 but has a lot more potential, I think. That part depends on you, of course....and it is cheaper....I think, again, the rum.....

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A nice Japanese Maple where would you be looking?
I would give Chris and Lisa Kirk a call at Telperion Farms to see what they have on hand. They were developing some nice ones a few years ago. I have not stopped in there for three or four years. They brought a couple up to Portland for the Rendezvous last September if i recall correctly!

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Out of these 2 trees, which would you choose if price was similar? Tree 1 is listed at 35" tall.

#2 that’s a good looking maple! Better deal than #1 imo.

Top Bottom