If You Have Cats, Be Careful of Lily.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I only post this in fear that others might not be aware.

I know many of us bonsai enthusiasts love all sorts of flowers as well....and our pets.

Today I found out the hard way that
Lily flowers are highly toxic to cats.

Some of you may recall posts in other random threads of my beautiful cat Wilson.

He was about 10 months old today.
He ate about half of a Tiger Lily that my wife had in a vase on the kitchen counter. I saw that he vomited it up, in the basement.
I figured it upset his stomach and didn't think much of it.

After 2 more days I was positive something was very wrong with him. He stopped eating and was zombie-like, for lack of a better term.
I took him the the local Animal ER and after $500 of testing, they said he was in full kidney failure and had no real chance of survival.
The damage was done.
They had to put him down.

I blame myself for being ignorant.

But please be careful everyone, we must learn from our mistakes.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:(

Hang in there.
It's rough loosing a feline friend :(

Don't beat yourself up too much. Unfortunately, when you see symptoms of sickness in cats, they often are far away already. :(

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh wow that is so sad.
I didn’t know about that one but I know many plants are poisonous to pets.
I have 2 cats and my daughters cat is here too so I feel your pain. He really was a beautiful cat. Sorry that happened.
When you are ready please get another cat because there are many in need of a good home.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I do feel your pain my friend...
We have lost recently both our cats due to "accidents" one of them poisoned like yours.
That's hard, very hard, because our pets are members of family.
... ...Unfortunately, when you see symptoms of sickness in cats, they often are far away already
I've come to realize this the hard way :(

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@just.wing.it
I'm sorry to hear that man, that sucks in every way... I had to put my cat down a month ago today :( I felt like blaming myself too. Don't blame yourself...

I feel for you, it's hard to say goodbye to a friend.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am so sorry to hear that about Wilson. I'm a cat person myself (I have three) so I know how they can become such good little buddies to us.

There's a number of plants that are toxic to cats. I know dieffenbachia (spelling) is another one that is toxic to them as well. Just to be safe I always keep any plants in the basement where my cats are blocked off from getting to them. Never can be too safe.

Don't be too hard on yourself about it, you simply didn't know. So sorry it happened to you that way.

Steve

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm so sorry, man. Losing a cat, especially suddenly is the worst. One of ours is a total moron and will try to eat any plant he can get his dopey face on, so we've always had to check with each plant we get, whether it's safe or not, so we can make sure to either not get it, or put it completely out of access to him. It's a pain, but just try to look up any plant or flower you're considering getting. Thankfully there's a lot of info out there regarding toxicity to animals, so it shouldn't be to hard to find. Sorry again. Wilson was adorable.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I hated reading this, I am so sorry. He sure was a pretty boy. We had to have our last dog put down, he had a stroke. It was terrible. I feel your pain.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hear the bad news but thanks for sharing the warning. Those who aren’t cat people don’t know how attached you can become to your kitties.

Top Bottom