If you were 37 ...

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im 32. I have started a ton of stuff from seed this year and found the process enjoyable and rewarding.

Just get a bunch of seeds from local trees and species and go for it!

My favorites have been an Alder tree that has grown very nicely, crabapples, a bunch of maple seedlings, osage orange, and pitch pines.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im 32. I have started a ton of stuff from seed this year and found the process enjoyable and rewarding.

Just get a bunch of seeds from local trees and species and go for it!

My favorites have been an Alder tree that has grown very nicely, crabapples, a bunch of maple seedlings, osage orange, and pitch pines.
While I'll agree and say thats great advise. But, im not sure if im ready to go full scale everything from seed yet.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
36 here. I'm amazed at the amount of growth I've got from maple and elm saplings from containers and ground growing.

I'm working on some field maple seeds right now, but I've dug young elm saplings that got to an inch diameter in a year, the saplings couldn't have been more than a year old.

Don't underestimate ground growing or letting roots escape the pots. Once they hit dirt, they explode. I have trident and amur maples that are near two inch diameter after escaping their pots after a year. All started as small 1/4-1/2" diameter sticks that were less than 12" tall.

Good thread!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I'll agree and say thats great advise. But, im not sure if im ready to go full scale everything from seed yet.

Never said you have to grow everything from seed. I have plenty of stuff that is not from seed too. If you see a plant you like, and it's dropping seeds, pick them up and plant them. Small trees can be as fun as... well... larger small trees. 😁

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinus longaeva or Pinus balfouriana. Great Basin Bristlecone and Foxtail pines. Probably both🤪.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone for the great responses! Reading through them has really help me make up my mind about what the next project will be. I'm going to start a small plate of seeds, and i was looking for ideas on what. But, im thinking the proper way to do it the most justice is to go with something that will thrive the most for my area and set up.

If theres any more adive or ideas they're more then welcome.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone for the great responses! Reading through them has really help me make up my mind about what the next project will be. I'm going to start a small plate of seeds, and i was looking for ideas on what. But, im thinking the proper way to do it the most justice is to go with something that will thrive the most for my area and set up.

If theres any more adive or ideas they're more then welcome.
JBP would be my choice

Reactions: n8

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Shimpaku cuttings, with lots of trunk movement.

Whatever you grow, just don’t plant everything straight up. Plant on an angle and be sure to add movement in those bottom few inches of trunk. And get the nebari right to start.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you were 37 and you wanted to start a project from a seed that could have time to at least come into its own within your life time, what would you pick to grow?

P.S. Turning 37 next month. :rolleyes:
A money tree? I wake up every morning feeling 37 until I look in the mirror and see scarred, mottled bark and little foliage with no movement... But seriously, JBP, JRP, European Black Pine and Shimpaku cuttings would be my choice.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of thought should be given to your location and if at all possible, future locations you might live in the future. For instance, I love visiting Florida, in the winter. I can't see myself ever living there so I would not pick a tree that loves Florida climate. I will more than likely give up my ghost in zone 6, but possibly zones 5 or 7. Also you need to consider other conditions of climate, humid like mid Atlantic to dry like Death Valley. I am 70 years old and I start seeds and cuttings all the time, but if I was 37, I would defer to my list of favorites. It is a hard call but my first choice for an evergreen would be Japanese Whit Pine. My first choice for deciduous tree would be a Copper Beech.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you were 37 and you wanted to start a project from a seed that could have time to at least come into its own within your life time, what would you pick to grow?

P.S. Turning 37 next month. :rolleyes:
I were 37, I'd skip the seed (and did when I was that age). Invested my time in larger, more advanced stock. More rewarding for me. Seeds are a waste of time and grow stuff for the next generation, not for you.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but at 37 time's a wastin...believe it or not. If you're going to plant stuff, PLANT saplings, chop them initially, grow them on...

kouyou

Sapling
Reaction score
a project from a seed

is this meant to be your sole project and only bonsai, or just a side-project among many others? for me, the answer to this question dictates the response

-if you have many bonsai projects and now would simply like to start one from seed, what you choose is less important in the overall picture of the satisfaction you will obtain over your bonsai career

-but if this is going to be you're only project, my question would be, why seed? get yourself a well-started cutting (e.g. from Mark Comstock) and start reading about how keep it healthy and develop it. (starting from seed or cutting is not something that people tend to get right on the first try, and if you plan to only do it once in your life and then develop that tree, I would skip the propagation step).

Top Bottom