If you're in the D.C. area-freeze tonight

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a freeze watch up tonight and probably tomorrow night. It's a tricky call to protect trees with the forecast. It's forecast to be 35 here in No. Va. near Springfield. that means frost is definite a freeze is possible. I could probably get away with leaving some trees out to night. HOWEVER, given its only supposed to be 50 tomorrow, those pots already cooled to 30's wont' warm enough to keep them from freezing through in tomorrow's night's possible freeze.

I'm bringing all my trees in tonight and out again Sunday afternoon. Sounds overprotective, but better than a dead tree...

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Down here in the mountains we are due for a return of the Mothers Day freeze we had here about 13 years ago—killed everything my aunt had put out in her garden. We are looking at a low of 36 tonight and 30 tomorrow night so I will definitely be bringing in all the decids and dropping the conifers onto the ground. My Colorado Blue Spruce just started budding out this week but I think it will be OK, however my big wisteria is already a mass of leaves and I know it would be devastated by a freeze. I will even drain the outdoor water line for this one.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They're predicting high 30's in St.Louis, but frost in the outlying areas, which is where I live. Last frost date here used to be April 15. :(

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Man..I've got a bunch of tropicals in the greenhouse but no heat yet. Hope they'll survive

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Man..I've got a bunch of tropicals in the greenhouse but no heat yet. Hope they'll survive
I'd bring em in, especially trops...
My trops are still under the lights inside thw basement..... But basically all my trees have fresh new foliage that will be killed be a freeze.
I'm not taking any chances anymore, if I can avoid it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Our normal last frost date is May 15, so I will complain, but I am not surprised.

20 years ago our last frost date was May 31. We have gotten warmer over the years.
I'm not familiar with our dates over here....but I am familiar with Mid Atlantic transitional periods in and out of winter....mother nature always likes to throw us for a loop over here.

I remember snow in early October a few years back.... And 75f degrees in February this year.

Its always a mixed bag over here.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm pretty close to Lake Erie, so I should stay a few degrees above the forecast. I'll be watching the temps. It's at 40F now.
I might bring the manageable deciduous trees in. I'm pretty sure the pines and junipers will be OK.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the look out @rockm

Tropicals finally went back outside a few days ago, saw a few nights in the upper 40s...

Everything is alright but I'm not chancing 30s, ughhh....

Luckily I only pulled out a couple mulched in trees, an amur and a J. Maple, they'll be fine (hopefully).

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Our normal last frost date is May 15, so I will complain, but I am not surprised.

20 years ago our last frost date was May 31. We have gotten warmer over the years.
I've seen some cities update their USDA zones in the last decade or so. They all went up half a zone. I don't know of any that went down a zone.

Top Bottom