Ignore

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi,

I think that the "ignore" function of a forum is the silliest one forum designers could ever think of. :rolleyes:

Look : you have now threads in which people are "ignored", and yet since some of what they've said is quoted, they get an answer, which is quite surrealistic because the person who replies ignores what the ignored one has said exactly.

So I've opened this one for ignorers, ignorants, ignoriados, and people who don't have a clue about what ignoring is, to discuss it.

Because part of them will ignore what the other has said, but will be able to voice their opinion on something they don't really know what is about, this should be a surealistic thread. Could be fun, really :D

Ignore on the lighter side :cool:

Oops! I realise I should have posted this in the Karaoke Bar section: would a moderator be so kind as to move this innocent topic?

That is, if there is still one on whose ignore list I'm not...

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well Alain, most of the time those that are considered the ignorants have the most to give to bonsai.

This is the button that I wear on my bonsai hat, it follows me everywhere I go in bonsai. I think the caption speaks for itself. A little respect, humbleness and humility can go a long ways.

Al

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
If I put myself on my own ignore list will it help me to forget when I make an arse of myself? :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about the Ignoramus, or its much larger cousin Ignorapotamus?

By the way, I am ignoring all of you until you pay me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
AlainK,

It seems like the only respondents to your thread to this point are people on my ignore list, too bad, I am sure the responses are entertaining.

You are new to this forum, hence you missed a lot of crap that filled this place before, up until the time when I added about five people from another forum to my ignore list, then it all amazingly stopped. I got tired of responding to personal attacks, off topic remarks, and general repeated attempts to disrupt otherwise intelligent conversations. It seems these few people were more concerned about trying to prove how bad of a person I was that they were unable to debate the topics or subjects submitted. Many posts during that time were deleted by admin, one person suffered a temporary ban, and the whole forum was in an uproar.

In your post you said, "...but will be able to voice their opinion on something they don't really know what is about..." and yet you start a thread here, posting an opinion about something you know nothing about, is the pot calling the kettle black here?

In my opinion, the ignore list is far from silly, I help to run two bonsai forums, I consistently write and publish articles, I am in the process of launching yet another great contest, as well as helping with the first ever American national bonsai show, I just don't have time for the few naysayers who keep telling me what I can't do.....so I ignore them. I refuse to let the negativity ruin my experience here, a forum I like, and one I do not have to work on.

Some people talk, some people do, I'm capable of both. ;)

Now given the history, maybe the ignore feature may not sound so silly to you after all.

Will Heath

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Will,

I sincerely wanted to take things on the bright side: I myself contributed to dig up vain debates by sending you back one of your quotes, which, I admit, was a bit sarcastic.
Like any group of people in real life, there are often different opinions and sometimes tensions. A bit of fun helps reduce tensions I think (I don't use the word "humour" because I think the best form of humour is being able to laugh about yourself and I haven't reached that state yet I'm afraid).

But in real life, you can't shun yourself out from the others, you can ignore what they say, refuse to talk to them, but still, you see them, you hear them. And quite often, when things cool off, and if people are sensible enough, both realise there was not such a fuss to make about what looks as mere trifle when you come to think about it.

At least, this discussion is not polluting the thread about your juniper, and I repeat that I was responsible for re-activating off-topic comments, I apologise for this. At the same time, I can't help smiling when thinking of it, see how people can be paradoxical :eek:

That's what I said about "real life": a bit of poking in the ribs doesn't hurt, it's just a healthy way of letting off the steam.

I must be very "twentieth century", I've never used this function in a forum. Sometimes, I reply to people I would have thought I'd never speak again without noticing, just because the thread is interesting, and I'm very happy when I see that things go back to "normal", a civilised way of expressing one's views.

Smoke,

Ignorants are not always stupid, they just don't know. Sometimes a candid point of view can help a learned person to view things from a different angle that can be a solution to a problem you are stuck on, I totally agree with you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
AlainK,

It seems like the only respondents to your thread to this point are people on my ignore list, too bad, I am sure the responses are entertaining.

You are new to this forum, hence you missed a lot of crap that filled this place before, up until the time when I added about five people from another forum to my ignore list, then it all amazingly stopped. I got tired of responding to personal attacks, off topic remarks, and general repeated attempts to disrupt otherwise intelligent conversations. It seems these few people were more concerned about trying to prove how bad of a person I was that they were unable to debate the topics or subjects submitted. Many posts during that time were deleted by admin, one person suffered a temporary ban, and the whole forum was in an uproar.

In your post you said, "...but will be able to voice their opinion on something they don't really know what is about..." and yet you start a thread here, posting an opinion about something you know nothing about, is the pot calling the kettle black here?

In my opinion, the ignore list is far from silly, I help to run two bonsai forums, I consistently write and publish articles, I am in the process of launching yet another great contest, as well as helping with the first ever American national bonsai show, I just don't have time for the few naysayers who keep telling me what I can't do.....so I ignore them. I refuse to let the negativity ruin my experience here, a forum I like, and one I do not have to work on.

Some people talk, some people do, I'm capable of both. ;)

Now given the history, maybe the ignore feature may not sound so silly to you after all.

Will Heath

What's really interesting is that the only place some people will engage people who may disagree with them sometimes is on forums that they run. When you have the power to edit and delete others' posts it is much easier to be top dog.

I got put on this ignore list long after changing the way I interacted on this forum. Al got put on here too, probably because he has so many obvious examples that he knows what the hell he's talking about.

Funny, but the ignore action came well after a clamp was put on some of the inflammatory posts. Hmmmmmm...

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

How do you know who responded if you are ignoring them? I, for one, am able to use the ignore button in my brain so that I do not have to rely upon the one in the forum, so I am unaware of its features. I am assuming it shows who posted, but not what they had to say. It would be too bad if praise was being reaped upon you and you were unable to read it and simply go on assuming the hatchet is still flying though the air...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rlist,

When using the ignore feature, one can see that a person on the list has posted, but the actual post can not be seen.

Praise, axes, advice, opinions, all have one thing in common, their value is totally dependant on the source.

Of course, those that dislike the ignore feature, can always ignore it. ;)

Personally, I find the feature useful.

I also find this whole debate on the ignore feature extremly funny.

Complain when I respond to attacks. Tell me I should just ignore them. Watch the forum fill with heated debates, threads deleted, people attcked, personal inssults hurled, etc etc etc....

Then complain when I decide just to ignore it all. Sorry, that dog won't hunt anymore, like it or not, I choose to ignore those that have proved to me that their only agenda is to pull this crab back down into the bucket. They'll just have to skin each other for wamth or actually focus on subject matter for a change.

For those of you who are going through "GET WILL" withdrawals, I am on other forums where you are not on a ignore list.

Too funny.

Will

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those of you who are going through "GET WILL" withdrawals, I am on other forums where you are not on a ignore list.

It seems that those "get Will" threads are getting fewer and fewer these days. I miss those good old days, though..watching Will defend himself against a pack of wolves. Then Walter would come and shoot a couple in the air, startling the wolves, before they attacked again. It was fun.
(just kidding, Will).:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila,

Good summary, lol.

I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy taking on the pack from time to time, but I came to realize that I was devoting too much of my internet time to such matters that really didn't affect me, harm me, or change my direction or goals. Such matters did however take time away from many of the other things I do and now I can devote much more time to things that are far more important.

Like bonsai. ;)

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well this is all getting just too silly. It's a shame we can't discuss what we came here to discuss unless Will has the Admin power. Too bad.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Fellas!
How about we get back on track and talk about Bonsai?
It is a Bonsai Forum after all.
Mom

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, this wasn't really a bonsai thread. AlainK, the starter of this thread, said it himself that he wanted to have a little fun with this. So, I am not sure what kind of serious bonsai subject is to be discussed here. But I am happy to steer back to being serious.

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
As per the title I am ignoring this thread. I only read the post above mine. I'm only replying to bump my post count.

As you were.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As per the title I am ignoring this thread. I only read the post above mine. I'm only replying to bump my post count.

Is there a prize for post counts or did I miss something?

Graydon, ignore this. ;)

Will

Top Bottom