Ikea Bonsai - 3 years on

remsta

Seed
Reaction score
Hi

This is a fantastic forum and I was hoping to get some help with my Bonsai. I purchased this Bonsai about 3 years ago from Ikea. It is a Bonsai ficus microcarpa ginseng. It used to look like the one in this image with lots of small leaves. (https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-ficus-microcarpa-ginseng-plant-pot-1179522).

Unfortunately, not really knowing what I was doing, it loved the conditions and has started to grow into a tree with rather large leaves. I would love to get it back to what it originally looked liked and was hoping you could provide me with some guidance? Please find attached some images of my tree.

Any ideas on where I need to cut it, so I don't kill it and new leaves grow?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3044.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 96

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm sorry no one has responded to you, perhaps that's why you started duplicate threads on the same tree? First off, Welcome to Crazy. Please add your location to your profile, so you can get the best advice for your climate. What do you like about the tree, is it the tuberous roots? How do you want it to look? My brother gave me a similar one, I sawed off the tubers and stuck it back in a pot, I like it better now. It depends on what you want.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe multiple threads were started because they weren't going thru.

My apologies, the turbosquid link scared me so I left it for KingNut approval!

Welcome to Crazy!

If you would like to condense, combine, delete or otherwise one or other threads, do let me know!

Thanks!

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hi! Interested in this thread as I -like many others- have acquired one of these ginseng ficus.
Have a Few things to share as I have had mine for years now.

First off, these plants are temperamental to environment changes, but are super resilient at the same time. A week after bringing mine home, (Winter time) It lost all of its leaves.
panicked and repotted it. I believe it came in 100% coco coir.
Was worried further as I discovered very little roots!
Since, I’ve tried reusing that IKEA pot and have issues with high moisture levels, and poor results.
I believe that since the pot has only one drainage hole between that fixed drip tray, it creates a soggy stagnant environment without any air circulation. The pebbles you have on top may also contribute to that issue.

In summary, this plant should respond well to any kind of chop attack you give it as long as it’s living in a healthy environment. So once you’ve decided on a style for it, go for it!
IMO I would just put it in a different pot with descent bonsai soil.
Here’s pics of mine currently.
33D6B086-E8FE-4962-95A0-D7A3163F9717.jpeg325E6895-9892-40E6-8D8C-2538FD309E8C.jpeg
Pretty ugly graft. Yours seems better.
May remove from tuberous roots one day if that trunk beefs up.
Good luck! I look forward to seeing what u do with your plant!
👍

remsta

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the replies!

Yes sorry for the duplicate posts, when I went to 'My Content' I couldn't see anything and I thought that maybe it hadn't gone through.

So are you saying that if I were to chop it here to get rid of the large 'tree' like leaves, it would grow back? How would it grow back, with smaller branches and leaves?

I have swapped out the soil once, about a year ago and I have thought about removing those pebbles, I might go ahead and do that.

Your tree looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 66

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You could air layer it there, or just chop it off and stick it in water or rooting medium. I can’t speak to which is better but there are loads of ficus propagation vids/tutorials out there.
hopefully someone with more experience propagating ficus will respond and offer the best approach.
The nice thing is when you remove where you’ve indicated, you’ll soon have 2 Very different plants!

Top Bottom