IKEA Ficus has a squishy trunk.

Sinwood

Seed
Reaction score
I'm very new to this so don't judge the terminology.

So i bought a ficus from IKEA (UK) 3 weeks ago. I have placed it on a window so plenty of sunlight and I noticed when I went to water it that the tree had been sitting in a puddle of water for 3 or more days. I drained the water but the tree has lost 80% of its leaves and one of the main trunks is now squishy to touch and the bark is now breaking. Is there anyway to save it?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!
Do you have a photo? It would help tremendously - particularly if we can see the condition of the soil.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
These drop their leaves when moved to different light conditions, however this sounds a bit sketchier than just that.

Only 3 days sitting in water won't kill it, could you have been overwatering? They use rubbish soil on these, and it takes a while to dry out enough between waterings - you should probs only need to water once a week.

The lip of the drip tray on those IKEA pots sits above the bottom of the pot, so you need to tilt them to drain off the excess (or drill a hole in the bottom).

If root root is the issue, it may need a quick repot, try and conserve as many living roots as possible and put it in good soil. Put a clear plastic bag over the tree afterwards, mist daily to keep the humidity high, out of direct light.

Hope this helps!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the trunk is squishy and the bark is falling off, the underlying living tissue has died. Feel around the trunk for solid areas, those are probably still alive. If there are some, the tree has a chance, if not, it's a goner. The dead parts of the trunk will not regenerate. If the tree is still alive, it COULD grow around them over time and proper care and soil. The tree probably needs an emergency repot into proper bonsai soil and a flush of its roots of the old soil--there are likely significant dead areas in the root mass. Summer is an ideal time to repot tropical species such as ficus.

Sinwood

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I hadn't watered yet as when I bought it the soil was damp. It wasn't till 3 days later I went to check the dampness again I picked the tree up and noticed the water sitting in the bowl. I understand they would loose leaves but the amount it has lost is significant and they are going brown. Im going to repot it today in proper soil and hope for the best!!

Attachments

• 20200827_143236.jpg
    20200827_143236.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200827_143241.jpg
    20200827_143241.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200827_143250.jpg
    20200827_143250.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200827_143301.jpg
    20200827_143301.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 60

Sinwood

Seed
Reaction score
I don't think it has had much effect. There is about 10% of the leaves remaining and most are black/brown and shriveled! Circled areas on the photo is now squishy to touch.

Attachments

• 20200902_182550.jpg
    20200902_182550.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 48

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s root rot. But if you still have leaves there’s still life in it. Just make sure the soil is a bit dry between waterings and wait. It may pull threw or it may not. But you’ll have learned so it’s not in vain.

Sinwood

Seed
Reaction score
So it's now lost all of it's leaves and all the trunk feels soft now. I guess the tree is a gonner? Obviously IKEA had been over watering before I got it. Thank you for all your help though!

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, even if this one is dead, you should try again with another ficus. They are generally very forgiving and fast-growing plants that are well-suited for bonsai. You should update your profile with your location, but if you are in the US, check out https://www.wigertsbonsai.com/ They are one of several places that sells and ships decent pre-bonsai ficus.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We’ve all killed tree, it’s unfortunately part of the learning process. Don’t give up, get another one - check your local nurseries, or even the big box stores for a cheap ficus. You can easily them in the US for around $15 - not sure of your location. It is definitely possible that this tree was on its way out when you brought it home. But you’ll likely have an idea of what to be aware of when buying another one. If you’re lucky you might even find a “houseplant” ficus at a local nursery. These usually consist of several cuttings and actually often have the start of a radial root base. Benjamina is commonly sold this way - and it’s a decent beginner tree although some would argue that point. I personally think it’s a good beginner tree.

Top Bottom