IKEA ficus mutilation

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello all,
Got a curvy IKEA ficus from when I first started bonsai. Pretty boring to look at, but got a nice trunk so thought I'd progressively air layer the trunk once every summer (at the points shown in pic from the top down (not my tree but they're all identical)).

However, it's in rubbish soil: am I safe to air layer and repot at the same time? Or better to wait a year?

Also: I'm guessing it's benjamina rootstock with microcarpa grafted on, anyone got experience with pruning off the grafts? Were they replaced by benjamina foliage?

Attachments

• 20200608_082141.jpg
    20200608_082141.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 184

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like a fun project. Where are you in the world?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If it was one of our Australian native figs I would have no hesitation at repotting and layering in a single session but 'benjamina root stock' gives me some concern. I have not worked with benjis but have heard many reports that they are not as hardy to root reduction.
If you are just going to replace the soil and not remove too many roots that does not count as repotting in my book, even for benji.

I think it would be possible to do at least 2 of those layers at the same time. Multi layers are OK provided there is green leaves to feed each layered section.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks both for the comments. I'm in UK: obviously not ideal for tropicals, but I'm setting up a greenhouse to get the right light/humidity/temp.
If it was one of our Australian native figs I would have no hesitation at repotting and layering in a single session but 'benjamina root stock' gives me some concern. I have not worked with benjis but have heard many reports that they are not as hardy to root reduction.
If you are just going to replace the soil and not remove too many roots that does not count as repotting in my book, even for benji.

I think it would be possible to do at least 2 of those layers at the same time. Multi layers are OK provided there is green leaves to feed each layered section.
I will just be replacing the soil, probably only minor root pruning as want to keep it strong for these procedures. I thought I would play it safe regarding multiple layers, if the first goes well I may be more ambitious next year.

Any opinion on defoliating when you repot? A lot of controversy from what I've read.

(And I'm not 100% sure about the Benji root stock, anyone feel free to correct me!)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

"Strong for the procedures" is a good mind set to have generally.
But a lack of roots may make the tree more apt to make roots at a layer.🤔

You don't have to defoliate when you Repot, but you can, but there is a better time. I call it BIP and BOP Bring In Pruning and Bring Out Pruning, defoliating at this time is best, since indoors leaves and outdoor leaves are different, and you can easily keep pests down by removing leaves before it comes indoors for the year. If you will put it out of course, if you do, once in once out. Any more "dancing" is a waste of time and resources.

I don't think anyone has ever witnessed that rootstock healthy enough to know or care what it is! They're always in poor soil and half dead.🤣

Good Plan!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I only defoliate ficus when they are well developed trees.
Still developing ones are just repotted with leaves on and maybe some formation pruning at the same time. That includes repotting with heavy root reduction.
They don't seem to require defoliation to survive root pruning. It is more about the development IMHO.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Update:
First layer is on with 50/50 sphagnum and perlite. Yet to repot as I haven't noticed a midsummer dormancy - should I carry on waiting, or is the dormancy not so essential for repotting a ficus? Don't want to miss the window!

Attachments

• 20200715_172453.jpg
    20200715_172453.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 168

rootpuma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
its a teopical tree no dormancy needed. you can remove all the roots on this guy and shove it back in dirt and it wont miss a beat! defoliation is not needed and will weaken the tree...save that till its mature and ready to define.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Nice, looks good!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good job! It might sleep for a while until spring... I found even in Southern California my ficus wouldn't do much of anything until about April, even if it was warm and sunny.

I like your idea of progressively reducing the trunk! You'll end up with a forest from a single tree :)

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Next layer on - still haven't got round to repotting, but figured root growth would slow with the serial layering.

Also: judging by that shoot coming off at the base, it's microcarpa root stock with a smaller-leaved microcarpa variety grafted on. The grafts are pretty weak, I might just chop them all off one day.
20210828_180520.jpg

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Taken the above layer off and put into a bonsai pot with lots of perlite and sphagnum.

Next time I'd use less perlite on the actual air layer because I was watering all the time!

Can anyone advise - I nibbled away at the top scar (circled), should I seal it now to aid healing?

Attachments

• 20220415_173258.jpg
    20220415_173258.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220416_082615.jpg
    20220416_082615.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220415_162950.jpg
    20220415_162950.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 48

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Gonna end up with some very Interesting trees for a fraction of the price you would have paid!

I know what I'm doing next time I'm in ikea...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I grow different ficus sp but healing is usually slow. I would definitely seal cuts to help with scars healing over.
Microcarpa root stock is normal for Ikea/Ginseng ficus.
Weaker grafts, stronger root stock is also normal for most grafted plants.
Pruning seems to be the key to developing branches and ramification in ficus bonsai

Top Bottom