Ilex Crenata starter tree

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know this must be some kind of special, super compact dwarf.
When I bought it, it was tagged as simply, ilex crenata.
I said wow, look at the short internodes, and snatched it up.
Anyway, I kept it in its little "nursery container" until I saw some new growth, an repotted it a few weeks ago. Waited for more new growth, and gave it a trim.
Going for a shohin bunjin.
What do you think so far?
And anyone know the name of this type?
IMAG2157.jpg
IMAG2160.jpg
IMAG2215.jpg
IMAG2255.jpg
IMAG2257.jpg
IMAG2260.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really want to build as much branching as I can on this...
The tips were all extending nicely, since the last trim...
This morning, I had a few minutes to kill....
I cut the tips out of the strong ones and installed 2 guy wires to help redirect a few branches.
It's got plenty of room to grow in this pot, but eventually I want it in a super shallow unglazed pot, reddish brown or something like that.
IMAG2359.jpg IMAG2360.jpg IMAG2361.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are many varieties of Ilex crenata, and they all look very similar as far as the leaves go. Their growth patterns differ (ie skypencil vs compacta). So its hard to tell which variety yours is.
They can be developed fairly quickly into a nice tree if you find the right one.

I have a Steeds variety and a compacta.

They will back bud like crazy and they are very enthusiastic growers under the right conditions.
If you want to wire, you need to do so when the shoots are still pretty young because the branches will lignify quickly (within 2 year iirc). Be careful of very new shoots, they can break easily. I think clip and grow works best once you have the branches set in the shapes you want them. Also keep a very good eye on the wire, these grow their branches thicker in a hurry and the wire can bite in very fast Ive found.

Here is my steeds variety from 2 years ago. I havent updated the pics yet on this one but its been repotted into a large training pot and cut back considerably this year.
2014_Il_002_2014a_small.jpg 2014_Il_002_2014b_small.jpg

Here is my compacta
as purchased in April 2015 and again this past June
Ilex_before.jpg June2016.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There are many varieties of Ilex crenata, and they all look very similar as far as the leaves go. Their growth patterns differ (ie skypencil vs compacta). So its hard to tell which variety yours is.
They can be developed fairly quickly into a nice tree if you find the right one.

I have a Steeds variety and a compacta.

They will back bud like crazy and they are very enthusiastic growers under the right conditions.
If you want to wire, you need to do so when the shoots are still pretty young because the branches will lignify quickly (within 2 year iirc). Be careful of very new shoots, they can break easily. I think clip and grow works best once you have the branches set in the shapes you want them. Also keep a very good eye on the wire, these grow their branches thicker in a hurry and the wire can bite in very fast Ive found.

Here is my steeds variety from 2 years ago. I havent updated the pics yet on this one but its been repotted into a large training pot and cut back considerably this year.
View attachment 115149 View attachment 115150

Here is my compacta
as purchased in April 2015 and again this past June
View attachment 115151 View attachment 115152
Nice! It's a great species I say!
This one has such short internodes, I don't even wanna try wiring it up.
Tiny guy wires for setting the primaries, and clip and grow after that, for sure!

You may have skimmed over it.... but I think Aaron is right, it's a Jersey Jewel.
I also have "soft touch" dwarf variety.
Trying to make Mame with both...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree, I have been very impressed with how well they respond to bonsai techniques so far.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be certain to save/root all your clippings. If it is some sort of
genetic mutation it should be able to carry from one generation
to the next. Crenata are easy to root.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, a bunch of pictures, I love them. Is that seed / fruit in the first picture?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Be certain to save/root all your clippings. If it is some sort of
genetic mutation it should be able to carry from one generation
to the next. Crenata are easy to root.
I've been trying, with several different plants...
I can't root a cutting to save my life.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wuhaha, I have the same. Few weeks ago I threw some ficus cuttings in a huge pot just for fun (with an upside down glass over it), somehow they got some roots! I think the temperature and timing is most crucial.
I clipped my ficus today. Gonna try that.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
PM me so we can discuss what you have tried and
see if we can find out what is up with that. Takes
a while longer but Ilex are not difficult at all.
I am not sure I know how to PM someone...
I see where I can post on your profile page....is that a PM tho?

I've basically tried rooting various cuttings in garden soil, seed starter mix, organic soil conditioner and bonsai soil...
No luck do far...
I always kept them shaded and moist...
I haven't tried a plastic tent or a glass over them yet...
Today I mixed up some organic soil conditioner with bonsai soil and popped in 5 small cuttings from my ficus. I placed a red plastic bucket over them. I also misted the inside of the bucket, to get as much moisture as possible...its super humid here, so they should stay wet... I'll check daily and mist if needed...

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How this little guy lookin circa 2018? I’ve got a got a Crenata forest planned for the spring with a bunch of cuttings I rooted last summer. Been digging into old Crenata threads.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How this little guy lookin circa 2018? I’ve got a got a Crenata forest planned for the spring with a bunch of cuttings I rooted last summer. Been digging into old Crenata threads.
Dead...
Over worked I think....
I'd love to find another like it.

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey @Paradox, is there a thread for this tree? It looks similar to an Ilex crenata I might collect next spring and am interested in what work you did to it and how you styled it.

Top Bottom