Ilex Crenata

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So last week I went out to look for a DAS

I've seen so many on here lately I was gonna crack!

But then I saw this guy, and they still had tons of DAS still on clearance so I grabbed this one20180109_104410.jpg 20180109_104504.jpg

Cut it back and did some clean up. There are a few branches here that I left on as I haven't made my mind up yet for the final direction for this guy. Has a few options that I'm considering. 20180109_115409.jpg

I love ilex in general so this one should be fun!!!

For now it will rest and I will think

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The beginnings of a nice form in there. I'm with you on Ilex. They really are great to work with. The only real drawback in my opinion is you have to get some movement in the branches early or it's just about impossible once they get a bit of size to them.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you @Vin !

Yes you can get wonderful ramification on them. This is a first Crenata, all my experience is with yaupon.

I've always mostly approached them with clip and grow, and then light wire before the new branches lignify.

As you said the species loves to grow so straight. Would be a big hassle to have too many of them :p

Reactions: Vin

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice base on that one too! would make a great shohin!

I'm looking to have mine stay around 6 inches tall ultimately.

Are you planning on chopping this one down low or above the two guy wired branches?

I had to dig for that base! I am leaving it this season to get healthy and half bare root. The following season I am planning on cutting it here to keep it medium size.
IMG_2099.JPG

Now that you mention it...I couldcut it here to keep it Shohin size and get better taper. I have plenty of time to think about it....
IMG_2099.JPG

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would cut it back to the first branch......

The lowest one on the left !!!!

I see a nice fat shohin there!!!

:D

I saw it right way but was holding back b/c I didn't want to influence your vision for the tree. :p:p:p

Top Bottom