Ilex Opaca (American Holly) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plucked from front garden... poor root mass initially and I thought it was going to die because it remained dormant for a LONG time into the spring until it finally started pushing new leaves. It is growing nicely now.

2019.03.14 - A.jpg
Dug up from poor clay soil in front garden in March. It was growing into a larger chunk of mulch so the roots were absolutely tiny.

2019.03.14 - B.jpg
The entirety of the roots. Needless to say, I did not root prune anything on it. Just put it straight into a 4" nursery seedling container with 100% 8822.

2019.03.14 - C.jpg
Potted...

2019.05.05.jpg
It finally showed renewed vigor in middle of May with regained color and new buds showing. Tree has continued to grow. I have since given it 14-14-14 slow release osmocote as a fertilizer. Considering using Bayer rose and tree systemic 3-in-1 as a next fertilizer application as the small osmocote pellets have mostly totally released by now - it's been about 3 months.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Awesome!
One of my favorite trees native to my area.
I've tried my had a few times and killed them a few times.
That one has a nice little wiggle down low, hope it works out for you!
Being so tiny though, you may want to put it back in the ground for a while after you get the root base sorted out.
Keep us posted.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I slip potted this into a slightly bigger terracotta pot earlier this spring. I didnt trim any roots on it.

Its starting to show some new buds so looks like it will live to see another summer. Hopefully I will get some nice new growth this year on it.

20200509_122220.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Noticed some scale insects on this tree today while inspecting the new leaves forming.

20200522_190117.jpg

I used a tweezer to crush them. Easy solution.

20200522_190526.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Please tell me you didn't follow through on your threat to use 3-in-1 last year?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol. No, I did not. I've been using an organic 4-3-3. But this tree didn't get much attention this year, to be honest. I would make sure it was watered, and had no pests. I would throw some fertilizer on it every month or so.. but that was it.

What is your biggest concern with the 3-in-1? I tried it on a couple of other trees with no issues. I don't like it's smell much, though so I will likely limit it to use on the ornamental roses in the yard.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It precludes scale, among other problems.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You were worried that I had used it and still had the scale insects? I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was hoping you had scale because you didn't use it.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I never wired it because of the newborn... but I like the potential. Needs a repot next spring. I dont think I fertilized it once either. Still didn't seem to be affected too much by my negligence.

20211010_214941.jpg
20211010_214954.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted the tree. Roots were very healthy. Gave it a tilt. Going to try to actually style this to look like a real old holly youd see in a neighborhood. Maybe ill get some pictures of some of the hollies around the area.

Before:
20220402_111728.jpg

After:
20220402_113638.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Repotted the tree. Roots were very healthy. Gave it a tilt. Going to try to actually style this to look like a real old holly youd see in a neighborhood. Maybe ill get some pictures of some of the hollies around the area.

Before:
View attachment 428082

After:
View attachment 428081
LOVE the "classic" foliage on this Ilex!

When I THINK "Holly".. it's THESE leaves that come to mind first..

It's shaping up, friend!

🤓

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This looks cool.
I like Ilex, mine are just little sticks at this point but I have hope, and I hope that the leaves will reduce a little with ramification and age.

Top Bottom