Ilex Opaca, future carving subject

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JWI.....

If you do.....

Imagine how a properly sized and cut rubber pipe coupler could assist in holding stuff together.

But I don't want this to pop up again Without some work!

You're killing me!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
JWI.....

If you do.....

Imagine how a properly sized and cut rubber pipe coupler could assist in holding stuff together.

But I don't want this to pop up again Without some work!

You're killing me!

Sorce
IMAG1647.jpg IMAG1649.jpg IMAG1654.jpg IMAG1647.jpg IMAG1649.jpg IMAG1654.jpg
Well, I did the deed....
This thing was in the ground deep!
I apologize for not having any pics of the process, but I was so busy, and racing against the rain....
Just didn't take any pics (kicking myself now)....
It's in 100% 8822.
It has fewer leaves than last time I saw it, don't know if the snow broke them off, or if the tree is dead....
I hope it's not dead, because I poured some real effort into this bitch today...
The nebari is decent, some is buried....
One side, the back, is kind of flat, no big surface roots, but it's ok... I still like it...
Fingers crossed for survival!

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not sure why a few pics showed up twice....
Used a 12oz can of National Bohemian Beer for size comparison...
Some would say, that's all natty boh is good for, but I actually like it....
If I want a really good beer though, I reach for the Moosehead...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a good, though possibly illegal home!

Haha!

Nice uncover!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like a good, though possibly illegal home!

Haha!

Nice uncover!

Sorce

Illegal I'm sure....
Come and get me coppers!
I didn't have anything big enough...
Thought I was gonna be able to squeeze it into a big plastic training pot I have, but it wasn't even close.... :confused:
So the secondary recycling bin it is....
I have huge recycling container on wheels that takes care of it....
Finally have a use for this little one :D.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like all of your work may have paid off! Good show!
Thank you. Hoping it's not just stored up energy reserves.
I'be heard of someone having a collected tree grow for 3 seasons, then drop dead. When unpotted, it hadn't grown a single root.
So after summer of '19, I'll be convinced.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had one that went a bit more than a year and then it kicked the bucket but that can happen with any plant so just continue on and assume the best until something happens.

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey JWI I see you are in Howard County too, small world. I'm right here in Ellicott City. How is the holly doing? I just ended up with a project holly myself from a nice gentleman, I was doing a bit of research when I found yours. Here are a few pics of the one I just picked up. I was told it had small red berries in the past, I'm looking forward to that in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3704.JPG
    IMG_3704.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3706.JPG
    IMG_3706.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 36

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey JWI I see you are in Howard County too, small world. I'm right here in Ellicott City. How is the holly doing? I just ended up with a project holly myself from a nice gentleman, I was doing a bit of research when I found yours. Here are a few pics of the one I just picked up. I was told it had small red berries in the past, I'm looking forward to that in the future.
Oh wow, I'm all jealous now, that thing looks like fun! Nice elephant skin bark!
I have always loved this Maryland Native, that's why I went thru so much trouble digging that one.....
Unfortunately, it's a goner....
So in late fall of 2015, I went around it with a sharp, long spade. Then in early spring 2016, I dug it up.
It pushed out many new shoots to about 6 leaves, then just stopped, and slowly died.
When I removed it to look, no new roots had grown.
A always have my eyes peeled for them though. The red berries I believe are the female plant, which sometimes gets so many berries that from a distance, the trees look more red that green!
Yours is a beaut! That trunk looks gnarly! Good luck with it, can't wait to see where you take it!
Are you gonna start it's own thread?

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah man sorry to hear about your tree not making it. Maybe next time you go collecting we can go together, I'm always looking for new stuff. I hadn't planned on creating a thread for this one but maybe in the future when I start work on it. Thanks for getting back to me about your tree, I wish it would have made it for you.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ah man sorry to hear about your tree not making it. Maybe next time you go collecting we can go together, I'm always looking for new stuff. I hadn't planned on creating a thread for this one but maybe in the future when I start work on it. Thanks for getting back to me about your tree, I wish it would have made it for you.
Yeah, it sucks.... but live and learn, I suppose. ;)

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my 20 years of bonsai i've killed hundreds of trees. It never gets easy and is painful, but yes it's part of bonsai. And always will be no matter what. Keep going man.

Top Bottom